Sorry to make you wait all weekend (but I have to admit, it was really fun reading your guesses). The answer has to do with Garrett’s newest behavior: hiding, gorging and hoarding. While cleaning Garrett's room, Bob found a full stick of butter filled with tiny teeth impressions along with a second empty wrapper under his bed. Upon further investigation, he discovered a bag of Wild Berry Lifesavers Gummies (just the kind you like Shannon) and an M&M Peanut family-sized bag (which he “stole” out of Bob’s briefcase) stashed in his soccer ball basket.
The last item really pissed Bob off—the fact that Garrett took something out of his bag, resulted in his first spanking from papa. The ironic part is, our adoption agency had just sent us an article about this very subject, which unfortunately, Bob hadn’t read yet. Had he, he would’ve learned that this is the number #1 issue facing adoptive parents.
I thought I’d share some highlights from the handout, just in case you find yourself in a similiar predicament: during infancy and childhood, children learn food brings comfort and relief from the distress of their hunger. Unfortunately, for countless children who spend months, even years (like in Garrett’s case) in institutional care, they’ve received formula by propped up bottles or by a caregiver feeding more than one child at an arm’s distance according to a set time and schedule and not their hunger. The nurturance and warmth while eating, intrinsic to attachment, was missing at a key time of development. For older children, serving sizes were often limited or even withheld as a disciplinary consequence.
Children growing up in extreme poverty often display the behaviors of hoarding and hiding food. Not knowing when or where their next meal might come from they learn a way to ensure their survival at the most basic of levels. Adoptive parents may feel aggravated and confused to find food and empty wrappers stashed and hidden under pillows and in dresser drawers. With consistent and loving reminders that there is plenty of food available, this behavior will more often than not subside.
The sheer abundance and variety of food also makes choosing a snack an overwhelming experience. They may only want one bite of a granola bar and leave the rest behind, frustrating parents with the “waste.” It’s important to remember that this behavior will pass.
The best piece of advice is simply allow the child, regardless of mess or stomach upset, to eat freely, often, and have total control over one area that stores food. A cabinet that the child can open or a bowl on the table with “free” snacks that can be assessed at any time gives the child his first control over food, which often leads to a decrease in hoarding. So now, we have Garrett’s soccer ball filled with healthy snacks—cheese sticks, granola bars, sugar-free gum, etc. He’s become very proud of it and it's no longer a source for shame.
Other guidelines:
•Your task is to provide healthy and nutritional, well-balanced meals. Demanding children clean their plate can hinder their knowing they are full and can develop further problems later in life. Don’t fight over whether the meal is consumed. Your child’s only decision is whether to eat or not.
•Food should never be used as a reward or bribe for positive behaviors or as a punishment for more misbehavior. Restricting food is never advisable until your child is confident food will always be provided and available. If warranted, allow child to carry around food for a while or have a bowl of healthy food by their bedside.
•Family meal times can and should be actually approached as an opportunity for healing and successfully completing the cycle of need and satisfaction that previously was dysfunctional.
I’ll keep you updated on Garrett’s progress.
8 comments:
Karen,
Well it was the butter that threw me for a loop! We are planning on adopting an infant and what your wrote today never occured to me - I haven't been in your shoes. That's very interesting and sure makes a lot of sense. Thankfully you discovered what he was doing early and why. I'm sure reading this will be quite helpful to other adoptive parents.
Eileen
Yes the whole food thing can throw you for a loop. That is one reason I like taking Karina grocery shopping with me. I put her in the grocery cart seat and we talk about how the grocery store is very close to home and how easy it is to get to the grocery store and we look around and discuss how much food there is - and at least five times during each long grocery shopping excursion (45 minutes worth of shopping) I remind her that there is a lot of food and that Mommy will always make sure Karina has a lot of food and Karina will never be hungry. I also leave out a fruit bowl within reach with bananas, apples, pears in it and also she has a little purse she likes to carry around - I have put in it a box of raisins, a ziploc bag filled with dry cereal, and another ziploc bag with crackers in it. When she finishes one item I replace it without her knowing...in the first few weeks she ate all the raisins and I snuck a new pack in there when she was napping...she was so surprised to see another box of raisins in her purse and she just smiled and smiled - I also do things like make smiley faces with the food and cut out bread with cookie cutter shapes...anything to lighten the mood around mealtime so that they associate eating with a relaxed feeling and fun versus feeling tense and worried. I agree with everything the agency wrote about food. It is hard to know about this sort of stuff because most people never really experience long term hunger and just associate the problems with being oppositional instead of it being a survival mechanism....which is what it is.
Yes, the food thing is interesting. We have one who wants everything - except what is on his plate (he wants mine mostly) and one who won't eat at all, especially anything with meat or suspects is meat.
Today I went shopping and got tofu and white beans which I will process and start adding to most foods to infuse some protein into her diet (plus pasta comes (Barilla brand) with protein too.
Andrey is a different story - he would eat one bite of everything if he could get a hold of it - thus the kitchen is off limits (also for the buttons on the stove and fridge). However, they each have a bag full of food available to them to carry with them at all times. Plus I usually leave a bowl of grapes or something out for them too. Oh and Pediasure has protein too - choc milk!
Very very interesting. Wow, who knew!! Butter??? I could totally get the M&m's and lifesavers, but butter???
Well, I was not updated and never starving. I still remember this.
In 1st grade, I "stole" some butterscotch chips from our pantry. I ate them. I think they were for cookies. Well, i felt so guilty and scared I"d get in trouble, i thought if I "killed myself" (yes, scary, i know, but this is what i thought) I would not get in trouble {this goes to show you how weird kids are!!}
So, i went out and ATE GRASS IN MY YARD. All that happened is i had green poop.
I just tell you this, not to showcase that I am a big weirdo (maybe that is true) but just to show you that kids are funky.
My son, Sean, is also not adopted.
I was looking for him a couple weeks ago . I was blogging (imagine that!!) He was in the bathroom, with the new container of Edy's ice cream, and a spoon.
I asked him if he was a "hoarder". He didn't know what that was.
So, we had a discussion on how he needs to ask first before he takes ice cream-it was around dinnertime so he knew I'd say no, SO, he went in the bathroom with it.
Kids are just funny. :)
Now that you know i'm a total freak who ate grass and my son hoards ice cream in the bathroom, i hope you still like me.
Really interesting. I had heard about the food hoarding in a class we took for our home study. Yes, the butter is a strange one. The soccer ball with snacks sounds like a great idea.
After reading the other comments...something came to mind. When my brother was little he had a HUGE thing for peanut butter. Mom would find empty jars of peanut butter all over the house with spoons in them. Eating too much peanut butter all the time would constipate him (he'd kill me if he knew I mentioned this!). No fun!
Eileen
Wow--sounds like you handled it just right.
When we were kids we used to steal cookies that Mom had frozen for some occassion--for us I think it was just the thrill of getting away with it--with 8 kids in the family she never knew who was stealing them.
Garrett is a real cutie.
Thanks for sharing this wonderful information. I saw some things in your post that I haven't read before.
Those latest photos of Garrett are wonderful. He is a handsome boy! I hope you get some rest and feel better soon!
(By the way Frank and I are both Cancers too!)
Post a Comment