Thursday, June 26, 2008

Garrett wet

The first time Garrett felt rain hit his bare head was in Almaty. He got so excited he literally pee’d his pants. Getting soaked was total sensory overload. You see, children in Kazakh orphanages are forced to wear hats—even in the dead of summer. My guess is if it was raining, the kids stayed in.

So now, getting wet is a big highlight in little kazman’s life. He points out to anyone within ear’s shot that mama car wet, papa car wet, park wet, bus wet, Garrett wet, Cody wet, kitties no wet (they’re indoor cats), bicycle wet and on and on and on. Then he moves on to umbrella: Garrett umbrella, papa umbrella, Cody no umbrella, etc. So image his joy upon discovering the backyard water sprinkler. Oh my, it’s as though he died and gone to heaven. But it wasn’t easy in the beginning: he had a hard time grasping the concept of swim trunks. He refused to put them on, much less take off his shirt. After much coaxing, we finally got the trunks on, but the shirt was non-negotiable. This would later pose a problem for daycare as Wednesdays are designated water days—kids are allowed to run freely under the sprinkler. During the first sprinkler session, Garrett refused to change into his swim trunks, so he missed out on the fun. By afternoon, he was a changed man—and here’s the proof.

I love that daycare emails us photos during the day or else I’d miss out on all these special milestones.

14 comments:

Diana said...

Cool you get pictures from daycare during the day. What a nice thing for them to do.

I remember when a friend of ours little boy was daycare age (he's 10 now). The daycare would always give them a written report for the day. What he ate, potty report, what he did for activity etc. Undoubtebly Frankie bowels seemed to have a fancy for making a move multiple times during the day. We still laugh to this day about Frankie's AM-BM report and his PM-BM report.

kitzkazventure said...

So Sweet! It is so interesting and funny to see what throws them for a loop. Last year in the fall, the big piles of leaves were just frightning to Nick and NO, NO was the answer when we told him to jump in them and throw them up in the air. Luckily, it only took a few times to adjust! Garrett is just so cute and those smiles are priceless!

Our Family of Bloggers said...

First of all, that is so great that Garrett's daycare emails you pictures. What a neat idea!
Second, that picture is absolutely the cutest. He really just seems like he is thriving. So wonderful to see!

Susan said...

what a great daycare you found-that is awesome!!! Kids do learn SO much in preschool/daycare.

Sean won't "Not wear a swim shirt" he is self conscious about his "white rootbeer belly"

He has a total farmers tan-it's hilarious.

Great to hear about Garrett's milestones-he is precious Karen!!!

Sandi said...

That is great that they give you updates during the day. How awesome.

He looks like such the little man, having a ton of fun. I love it.

So happy that you guys are finding your groove and really enjoying life.

Sandi

Angela said...

Running through the sprinkler on a summer's day - a glorious thing. I am glad that he has embraced it.

Every time I read about a normal-to-us thing he hasn't experienced, I want to cry. But, look at you - you are showing him the world!

Paula said...

Wow, what an experience to see the world through his eyes now. So many new things to experience.
How cool!

Patrick & Eileen said...

I'm so glad that he took to running in the sprinklers. I bet after watching the other kids enjoying it that he just had to do it too!!

Wow, I really love that your daycare sends you photos. How special is that (from bugs to wet smiley faces)!

When I saw Garretts photo it reminded me of when I was a kid playing in sprinklers. We had *Water Wiggle by WHAM-O* and *Slip n' Slide.* I can't wait to play in the sprinklers with our daughter some day.

This was a great post!

Eileen

McMary said...

I am glad that you post these pictures from day care so that we can keep up on his milestones also. He is such an adorable boy.

Amy said...

What a great daycare!!! Could I ask if it is one of the chains like Kindercare or Tutor Time that does this? I am getting ready to send Karina and think I have made up my mind but would love to be able to get updates during the day. That would really make me feel better.

Anonymous said...

Who's that hunky Kaz kid in a bathing suit? ;-) He's so cute, and that is awesome that you get photos!

Jeannine said...

Noelle discovered the sprinkler a couple of weeks ago, and she loves it too! It's so funny watching--she hangs with the big boys, and is at her happiest if they've stopped it so it splashes right up into her face :)

I am so glad to hear you guys are doing so well-- Garrett looks wonderful.
Jeannine

marsrob said...

That is AMAZING that they email you photos during the day! Incredible! Glad he has come around to the joys of water play!

Tricia said...

That IS really cool that your day care e-mails photos. Garrett is making leaps and bounds with new things. It is fun to watch. Love the Kaz pride hanging the flag.