That afternoon Garrett and I were out running errands. Since I rarely turn on the TV these days I was unaware of the adventures that lie ahead. Driving along, I noticed the sky north of us was pitch black, which I assumed would pass us by. Wrong. Apparently a dangerous hail storm was barreling down I-94 straight towards us. Only a few raindrops hit the windshield before the hail struck. We're talking half dollar sized ice pellets assaulting the car for at least 7-8 minutes, accompanied by intense wind gusts. I pulled under a tree because at this point Garrett was screaming bloody murder (poor kid, he's been through enough and now it was Mother Nature's turn to torment him). Finally it let up so we slowly inched our way home through a wintery wonderland. The hail created a "snow" effect that completely blanketed the roads. This is what we came home to.



Quite frankly, it looked like a war zone. Broken branches, decapitated flowers, crushed plants and fallen leaves greeted us. (Poor Bob, he just got done putting in about half of our new plantings.) One poor pathetic tree has barely any leaves left. Here's Garrett standing in front of our newly planted vegetable garden--luckily, most of what's there are seeds, so everything is safely buried under dirt.

Today most of the day was spent cleaning up. The good news is it wasn't a deadly tornado like our neighbors in Hugo experienced last Sunday. We are very thankful for that.
5 comments:
What a Saturday you had!! First the ol' marker in the dryer trick! Yikes! Great idea to use the Mr. Clean Eraser - I wouldn't have thought of that. Sorry about the clothes though.
Wow...the hail pellets were large! I'm glad that both of you were safe (hopefully little to no damage to your car - too bad about the plants). But to Garrett it was sure scarey - poor guy. When you're in a car it's pretty intense too.
Just glad you're safe!
Eileen
Wow--I was in Southwestern MN and never knew about that bad weather either. Glad you are all safe.
Garrett is so cute. It sounds like Dr. Johnson is a good one to work with--that is of course who I am hoping to work with also--did you contact him before going to Kaz or just after getting home?
Okay, I know it isn't funny when it is your dryer, your clothes, and most of all your son as the culprit, but I was laughing so hard at the marker in the dryer story!
Garrett is really too cute! Sounds like the hail storm was pretty intense. Glad you guys are all safe and sound.
Yikes on the hail--That is freaky. I am glad you were ok.
yes, we have all kinds of things in the dryer. Lil boys leave all kinds of things in their pockets--even when they're 10!!!
Garrett just gets cuter and cuter.
How is his English coming, by the way?
Wowza that is some kind of hail. No wonder Garrett was screaming. Lucky for him (and you) you guys were not on foot (ouch)!
PS - Hope your budding little artist finds a different canvas for his next masterpiece!
Post a Comment