Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Progress report

We're almost at the two month mark since we've been home, so I thought it would be fun to document the little Kazman's progress. When Garrett first got his trike, all he knew how to do was clean it.


This is two weeks later. He now rides it like a pro.


Other milestones:

•Last night was the first time I took a shower without Bob there to watch him.

•Yesterday was the first day without a time-out. Yaaay!!!!!

•Yesterday was the first time he approached the other kids at day care.

•Two days ago was the first time he didn't cry when being picked up from day care.

•Last week he stopped throwing tantrums at day care.

•Pedals a trike forward and steers around corners and obstacles with ease.

•Counts to 10—working on 20.

•Hops on one foot effortlessly.

•Draws circles without being prompted. (He never liked anything to do with pencils/crayons/markers and paper before.)

•His English vocabulary thus far: dog, cat, sit, more water, come, see you later, close the door, good night, lollipop, bicycle, mama work, papa work, clean car, little, big, umbrella, raining, wet car, wet bus, cooking, clean, puzzle, brush your teeth, movie, princess, egg, water, butter, apple, apple juice, banana, stool, eat, Cody good boy, Cody poopie park, Cody walk, baseball, sock buddy, circle, milk, music, papa sleeping, tired, park, play, thank you mama, please, sorry, store, monkey, sunglasses, pudding, gum and good job.

•By week 2, he made the name switch from Nurlan to Garrett. (That one blew me away.)

•By week 2, he made it through the night without wetting the bed.

•First day home he was terrified of our dog. After day 3, Cody and he have been the best of buddies.

•And the biggest hoorah: from the very first day, he never looked back. It was as though he'd been preparing for a mama and papa his entire life.

13 comments:

Joby and Marla said...

A+ on the progress Garrett is making. It sounds like he is adjusting very well & in a short amount of time.
Marla

marsrob said...

Absolutely AMAZING progress in JUST 2 MONTHS?!!!! WOW. I have tears in my eyes. You two are so wonderful for him - and he is for you as well. A beautiful post, thank you for sharing. Such joyous things!!!

McMary said...

Wow--I just loved reading Garrett's progress--You guys have done so well together.
Thanks for the kind words on my blog--I hope that your mother has seen what a great family you have become and has come around to be supportive.

Alaina said...

What exciting progress! It makes my heart soo happy! What a beautiful little boy and wonderful family.

dnd82001 said...

This post brings me such joy to know all the progress that Garrett has made but mostly your comment about not looking back - that says more then anything else!!!

Continued blessings!
Darlene

Karen, Glenn, Allie, Max, and Sam said...

Oh, this sends shivers up and down my spine. AWESOME information and news, Karen. We are so happy for you.

But, I noticed something missing from his amazing vocab: "mama sleeping." hmmmmm. :-)

Hope it is true, and it's simply that Bob hasn't captured Garrett reporting on it as of yet. LOL

Patrick & Eileen said...

I am so amazed and so happy that Garrett is making progess. I loved reading his milestones list. How wonderful that he has made a buddy in Cody too :)

Eileen

Susan said...

That is so awesome!!! What an amazing story. Especially because I also distinctly remember that you and Bob were Garrett's VERY FIRST visitors. You have made such a wonderful impression upon him, and him on you.

Honestly, on the days I think we will never get to Kaz and wonder if I should just give up, I read stories like yours, and I shun all negative thoughts in my head.

You are such a blessing to each other.

GO MOM GO! oh, and DAd too. and of course, Garrett-the star of the show. :)

Amy said...

So good to hear!!!!! Yeah for Garrett!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is amazing how they do seem absolutely ready and just waiting for a family and how fast they really do acclimate themselves. The thing I like the best is how much Karina seems to really really really be enjoying being a part of a family. Her excitement over the fact that Mama and Karina are semya vsigda (family forever) is very heartwarming and gratifying. I think at this point in the game Karina and Garrett are realizing this is really it. And that realization is making them blossom. Way to go Garrett!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Great milestones, and of course he's been waiting for you guys!! So happy you found each other ;-)

Our Family of Bloggers said...

That is truly phenomenal progress. WOW!!! So I picked up on the same thing Karen & Glenn did. In that long, very impressive list of vocabulary, where is Mama sleeping?
He is absolutely a gorgeous little boy and the strides he has made over just 2 months are truly incredible.
Wonderful, wonderful post!

Angela said...

AW! How sweet is that? Yea, Garrett! I love that he has been waiting for his mama & papa.

And, look at all he has accomplished! You all are doing such a great job.

Tricia said...

It is so great to hear how well Garrett is doing. You must be thrilled with his progress. I know you can do without the interest in bugs though, LOL!