Thursday, August 28, 2008

Another breakthrough

This will be a quick post—the week has been crazy busy with school-related stuff. Who knew kindergarten would be this hard? (Ha-ha) I will write more later, including his special education evaluations, which we’re in the middle of now. But I wanted to share something that happened last night.

After dinner, Garrett began talking about the stove. (Remember over a month ago I wrote about the deep black gash Bob found on the top of our “almost” new stove? And when we asked him who did it, he didn’t say a word, which meant he spent much of the night, sitting in time-out.)

Because that happened so long ago, I almost forgot about it. (Bob bought appliance paint and did a great job covering up the damage.) So at first I couldn’t figure out what he was talking about. He kept saying, “Papa fix it.” (Except he doesn’t pronounce his “f’s” very well so that added to my confusion.) Which I replied, “Yes, he did.” Then he started to pretend to hammer something. I asked what he was doing. He said, “big hammer,” and then I asked if he did it, which he nodded yes. Then came the big question: why? He fiddled in place for the longest time and with a little smile on his face finally confessed, “Want to break it.” Okay, that was a big statement coming from such a little guy. I explained that mommy and papa don’t make a lot of money and can’t buy a new stove. That what he did made mommy and papa sad and mad. Then I asked him how he would feel if mommy broke his big bicycle. He didn’t like that at all, but he got what I was saying. I ended by hugging and thanking him for telling the truth. It felt like a big breakthrough. It was as though he finally felt safe enough to fess up. What do you think?

13 comments:

Paula said...

That is HUGE. what a breakthrough. Garrett just sounds like the darlingest boy. What a heart he has.

Amy said...

Excellent!!!! If a child feels safe enough to tell you the truth even though they might get in trouble then that tells you how safe they feel with you. Isn't that what we all are hoping for? I would say that it is a very very good sign!! Congratulations!!! Recently, Karina drew on the wall. She knows she is not supposed to draw on the wall. When I asked her who did it she blamed my office manager..LOL..after a few more Karina did you do this questions she finally admitted that it was her. Then we washed the pen off the wall. Made me feel good that she did eventually tell me the truth. Hard to know how to respond but I guess in the end I really want my child to feel that they can tell me the truth even if the truth is something that will make me mad. I guess that pens on the wall and other like things are annoying but I am hoping to establish a mutual trust so when the really big things come up when she is older that she will tell me the truth about more consequential matters. Does that make sense?

Kim said...

Karen - that is great. Yes, that is a great breakthrough. Just a testament to the great job you are doing mom!

McMary said...

I agree that is a BIG breakthorugh and your response was great--it just reinforced that you he can trust you and you will always love him. Great job Mom!!

Tricia said...

I cannot tell a lie. Sounds familiar. Maybe you have a future president on your hands :) Good for Garrett.

Tricia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Gobble's (Lanetta) said...

go Garrett go... yeah for you guys!!

Susan said...

oh my goodness...how precious.
BIG BREAKTHROUGH.

what a precious lil sweet boy..I am so glad he is your son.

I'm gonna go cry now.

Our Family of Bloggers said...

No training or books here, but it sounds like a big breakthrough to me, as well.
Can't wait to hear about kindergarten. I'm sure Garrett is doing great!

Diana said...

Bless his heart! He's getting it!!!!!! He feeling safe and secure with mommy and daddy. And he feels bad that he did something he wasn't supposed to.

Hug that Boy!!!

Catalina said...

so glad to hear how many progresses Garrett made :). Gabi will start kindergarden too.
Best wishes to you,
Catalina

Rochelle said...

I think you're right Karen and what a good mama you are. Congratulations - you have and are always learning great parenting skills. I know that this was meant to be for you and Bob and Garrett. I just know it!

Patrick & Eileen said...

Wow...this was a big breakthrough. I agree, he felt safe enough to come to you and talk about it. It's good that he understands!

He's so cute!!
Eileen