

The Minnesota Playgroup’s first outing was a big success. And we couldn’t have had more perfect weather. The kids thoroughly enjoyed getting wet, which gave us adults time to visit. The first to arrive was Laurie and Terry with their two children, 6-year-old Noah and 3-year-old Tiegen. Like Garrett, they were adopted from Uralsk, Kazakhstan in 2005. Coincidentally, they have the same placement agency as we do. That means Noah was in the same preschool as Garrett at the exact same time. (Because it was over three years ago, the boys didn’t recognize each other nor did Terry or Laurie recognize Garrett.) Another happy coincidence, both started out in life with the same name: Nurlan. Plus, they're neighbors—their town borders ours. Small world, huh? And we met online of all things.

Next was Stacy and her little bundle of joy, the ever “delightful” Delaney. Stacy and I share the same home study agency, Crossroads Adoption. We were both in the Vietnam program, but pulled out once we learned they had lost their in-country contacts and orphanage connections. Stacy switched to another agency and within days she received the “call.” She flew down to Cincinnati one Friday to pick up her little sweetheart and was home by Monday.

Then there was Andrea, Steve and their two children Alex and Karina from Moscow. Almost 6, Alex is very smart and full of profound statements like “your house is small” and “everyone dies don’t you know, but come back some day.” He also loved our fur kids, which made Garrett very mad. In fact, I saw a mean side that I’d never seen before. He kept telling Alex to go away and refused to let him pet or feed Cody.

Here's Cindy and 17-month-old cutie Trey from Vietnam. She was in country during the political problems that occurred a few months back between our government and Vietnam. In fact, she was stuck in country for 60 days, unwilling to leave her son as the two governments wrestled the situation. At some point (I didn’t get the full story), Trey was awarded a visa and passport to travel. (I love happy endings.)

Last, but not least was Suzanne and her 8-year-old daughter Sylvia from Russia. Sylvia was a little shy at first, but jumped right in after she “got” the idea that you’re supposed to fall on the slip ‘n slide. Don’t you love how she’s striking a pose here?

All in all, everyone had a good time and agreed to another play date sometime soon. So again, if you're interested in joining us next time, drop me an email at karen_pere@yahoo.com. The more, the merrier.
11 comments:
how awesome...I love the pics and the stories of all the families!!
Garrett looks so happy--I love seeing pictures of you guys.
It sounds like he was jealous of the other child that liked your dogs...I'm sure he's still managing his feelings. I'm glad that you are right there to witness these things and explain things to him.
Thanks for sharing your successful play date!! Joe and I have both caught Leeza's cold...we took a nap while Sean wrote today's blog. :)
We had a late lunch and an afternoon out, so we're eating dinner in. Sean is eating some "easy mac" from home...Joe and I had popcorn. :)
Love ya!
What an AWESOME thing to do!!! I wish I lived closer cause I'd definitely join in! Glad you had such an amazing time.
I was waiting for this update! I was hoping that Garrett & the two of you had a good time. Looks like everyone did.
It would be nice if we lived closer together - we'd join in too!
Eileen
That is so great! I am so happy for all of the families and the children that you have all connected. We love connecting with other local families with adopted children. It is definitely a unique and special bond!
That cracked me up the other little boy was telling you that everyone dies. Kids are so funny.
And one last thing, the pics from your last post of Garrett with his teachers are so cute. Obviously as parents, we are completely biased about how cute our children are, so I am telling you this as a completely OBJECTIVE person- Garrett is one of the most beautiful little boys I have ever seen!
So much fun for the kids. I would LOVE to be a part of a group like that. There is just nothing in my area, I've even tried starting one up and got no responses. How neat to talk to other parents about adoption, my favorite subject.
That is fantastic! I am glad you all had a great time. "Don't you know" - is that a Minnesota thing? My friend (from MN) says that all.the.time! :-)
Sounds like so much fun!! Thank you for sharing the photos and brief bios. I know Gigi would have loved playing in the water.
How nice!
how fun.. and I loved the pictures...
wow.. you're timeline seems quick... (well, it is compared to ours... LOL)!!
He's a doll!!!
can't wait to follow along as he grows...
Lanetta
What a wonderful get together! Perhaps the Florida S's can get up to see you (however, this S is headed to Nevada in two days so not so sure............)
Loved the photos!
Shannon
Looks like a great time--it is great that you organized this. I hope to join in some day.
Post a Comment