Sunday, August 31, 2008

Yet another Labor Day

Last Labor Day, Bob was out on the deck, painting a toy chest red for who we thought would be our son, a blue eyed, blonde haired boy named Denis. He was the first child Bob felt an immediate connection to. It's so curious to me how someone can look at a photo and it's love at first sight. As everyone knows that referral fell through, Denis was adopted by a local family in Uralsk. We can only hope that he's with a family that truly loves him right now.

When I first brought home photos of Garrett, Bob didn't have much to say. (To be fair, Garrett is far cuter in person than in photos.) All he could say was, "He looks like he could be a chubby kid if he doesn't watch what he eats." Ugh. Not the reaction I was expecting. After some coaxing on my part, he agreed to accept the referral. When I met first Garrett I felt love for this child almost immediately. For Bob, it's taking a lot longer. Even though he thinks he's a great kid and would never treat him any different than his two biological children, he's still hasn't caught up with me emotionally. It'll be interesting to see where he is in another year.

Yesterday Garrett and I attended the Russian Meetup picnic. There were a lot of boys there his own age, so I encouraged him to join them. It was interesting to watch the dynamics of the group. Clearly, Garrett didn't understand what was going on. He'd laugh inappropriately and was unable to sit still and play along. The boy in charge (with the laser sword) put him in a time out. Another boy ran after him and hurled a full bottle of water, which hit him squarely in the back. (At that point, I stepped in and told the boy to apologize to Garrett.) When I recounted the story to Bob, I found out I had broken a cardinal rule. I should have first gone up to the boys and asked if Garrett could play with them. Lesson learned.
Here's the kid with the water bottle just before the big "hurl."
Happy Labor Day—can't believe summer is almost over. But soon it'll be pumpkins and goblins—and Garrett's first chance to dress up and go door to door. Ahhh, to be six again.

9 comments:

Kim said...

I would have made them apologize too. Not very nice! Noah sometimes has problems knowing what to do in playgroups. He has the "follower" type personality and does what the louder kids tell him to do. It's a hard thing to teach.

Happy Labor Day to you as well. What a crazy summer it has been! :)

The Gobble's (Lanetta) said...

Happy Labor day as well... don't sweat making the kid apolgize... it's the Mother in us that comes out.. I'm sure the kid has NO memory of it now anyway... ha ha
Have a great Labor Day!!!

Angela said...

Garrett will be in there with the other boys and know what to do in no time. I hate to read about the aggression and lack of compassion - throwing the bottle was a really crappy thing to do. I would have stepped in as well. Luca would much rather be with, and more importantly, talk with adults. He has his awkward moments when playing with other kids.

I remember when Bob painted that toy chest! Hard to believe it has been a year! What a year it has been!

Jennifer said...

I remember last labor day! I think that was when I first found your blog. Amazing! I can't believe we've known each other that long already.

Paula said...

Well, I think Garrett is so adorable.
Have a GREAT labor day!

Susan said...

I distinctly remember that post last labor day and I remember the wagon too!!

Oh, poor Garrett. That would break my heart to watch that..kids can be jerks, but still hard to watch.

Garrett will figure it out-but i'm with you....a very "emo" Mommy.

Love to you and your boys this Labor Day!

Susan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Trudi said...

I don't know how I missed your blog but thanks to you post on Shannon's, you are bookmarked. I have to go back and read everything to catch up but just wanted to chime in and say hi. I am thrilled that you are in Minneapolis, one of our favorite places. We are spending a week each season in a cabin outside Ely - the northwoods is so special. And I also see that you and I are/were in compatible careers. So glad to have found you!

Patrick & Eileen said...

Karen,
I just hate reading about kids and how they can be aggressive. I know it's just how they get sometimes. I would probably had my mama bear instincts kick in and made the boy apologize like you did. I think it was the appropriate thing to do.

Eileen