Thursday, August 14, 2008

Happy Anniversary honey


Today is our third wedding anniversary. It amazes me that it’s been only been three years—so much has transpired since then. Besides getting married, I switched careers and became a first time mom.

When I first met Bob four years ago, I was dating another guy at the same time. (For the record, I met both men on match.com, so it’s not uncommon to date more than one person at a time.) I liked both of them for different reasons, but I thought eventually one would fall to the wayside. When that didn’t happen I began to reveal little things about myself, which I hoped would push one away. Nope, they both hung in there. Finally, (because dating two people was too much work for me) I decided to tell Bob that I was researching international adoptions. (At the time, I was looking at adopting a toddler from Russia.) I told him I wanted to meet for lunch to discuss something very important. I was nervous, because secretly I was favoring him. How would he take the news? His two biological children were in college, so he was way beyond diapers and middle-of-the-night feedings.

As I broke it to him, his face turned thoughtful with a little relief thrown in. He said he needed to think about it and would get back to me. Fair enough. A day or two later, he had his answer. He was up to the challenge because he knew it was a big dream of mine and wanted to see me happy. His only request was that the child be past the diaper stage—basically any kid over four was fair game. Wow—how could I not choose him? I was amazed at his generosity and his love for me (we had only been dating for two months at this point). Clearly, Bob was the man I was meant to be with for the rest of my life. The next month, he proposed and the rest, as they say, is history.

I love Bob for many reasons. Besides being fun and upbeat, he has truly shown me what unconditional love is all about. There are days when I’m pre-menopausal that I’m downright scary, but he still hangs in there.
Happy Anniversary honey—you’re the best. It took 12 years to meet you, but it was well worth it.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

So touching! Happy Anniversary, and that's quite a plug for match.com ;-)
Shannon

marsrob said...

A very moving story! You two are a beautiful couple and I am so happy you found each other! What a journey it has been for you!

Tricia said...

The photo of the two of you is beautiful. It is obvious that the two of you make a great couple. What a great story. I have a few friends who have had success on match.com also. I thought we got engaged quickly (5 months), but you've got us beat :) When you know, you know. Happy anniversary and many more!

Patrick & Eileen said...

Congratulations on your third wedding anniversary!!! I love your story. Some day you can share it with Garrett. He'll know he was thought about for a long time.

We were engaged 3 months after we met too. We've been married for 15 years (well it will be 15 years in November). When you know the right person...you just know!

Congratulations again,
Eileen

McMary said...

WHat a beautiful picture of the two of you--you look and sound like a wonderful couple.
Congratulations.

Jennifer said...

Happy anniversary guys. What a great story!

And we were engaged 3 months after we started dating too!

Angela said...

Wow! That Bob is impressive - and so are you! Happy anniversary to a great couple with a wonderful son!

Diana said...

Wow, How Sweet. Garrett is so lucky to have the two of you.

Matthew Ruley said...

Congrats! You are such a beautiful couple!

Paula said...

Thanks for sharing your story of how you met. Yea, Bob, he wasn't scared off. Now look at the two of you and precious Garrett. What a story!

Jack and Cheryl said...

Happy Anniversary to you and Bob!! When we met you in Almaty I would have never guessed you had been together such a short time ...... you compliment each other perfectly!

Congratulations ---

Jack & Cheryl

Jack and Cheryl said...

Happy Anniversary to you and Bob!! When we met you in Almaty I would have never guessed you had been together such a short time ...... you compliment each other perfectly!

Congratulations ---

Jack & Cheryl

Anonymous said...

What beautiful pictures and a beautiful story to match (which gives me hope!!!). Hope I get a chance to meet Bob at the next playgroup - though I have no doubt he'll be as great as you and Garrett!

Susan said...

Happy anniversary BABY!!!
your love shines thru all the way to Kosatnai!

I'm with you on good men....Joe agreed to have a kiddo with me, then we were done...but Mommy got baby fever again...and here we are!!

so happy for your family.

xoxoox

Susan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joby and Marla said...

Happy Anniversary!!!!

What a great story. Your Pictures are beautiful!!!!!

Gretchen said...

Happy anniversary! What beautiful pictures and a beautiful post. :)

Kelly and Sne said...

Congratulations! You two look great and very happy!