Monday, August 18, 2008

Nurlan from Uralsk

That was the subject title of the email I received from a woman in Marietta, GA. This is what it said:

“First of all let me say I that don’t usually email people out of the blue…. ;-) but I felt this was important enough.

We are preparing for our second trip to Uralsk and I ran across your blog link on ‘Kazakh Adoptive Families’ website. While looking through the blog I thought I recognized your son. We were in Uralsk in Sep/Oct 06. My son, who was adopted at almost 3, was at babyhouse #1. His best friend was a 4 year old they called Naury. While looking through your blog, I saw pictures of your son and I believe it is the same boy. In fact I am about 95% sure (as is my husband), which is why I’m sitting here with goose bumps!!

I would love to communicate with you and see if this is actually the case. I’ve attached a couple pictures of my son with his friend Naury. Please take a look and verify for me whether you think this might be your son. I have more pictures if you would like to see more. My son’s name was Bauyrzhan (pronounced Bore-zhan) but they called him Baury for short. (He’s now Charlie…)

Thanks! Please let me know…”

And to my big surprise, here were the pictures she sent.
No doubt about it, it's our Garrett when he was four. I even enlarged the one photo and there was that identifying permanent scar near his left eye. Aren’t these two the sweetest? I was so excited—it had felt like I had won the lottery. Apparently, Naury, Baury and another boy, Israel were best buds. Anita (Charlie’s mom) and I both agree these boys need to see each other soon. Mostly, because we feel like Garrett is Charlie’s long lost little brother. Anita has pictures of “Naury and Baury” in his bedroom, so Charlie immediately recognized Garrett from the blog.

Coincidentally, another family (The Trawicks) were also there in the fall of ’06, adopting their son Jonathan and remember “Naury” and have pictures and stories to tell. They live in Georgia too—only 45 minutes away from Charlie's house, so we figure a reunion is in order here pretty soon. The other boy, Israel we found out is back with his father in Uralsk. Sadly, the likelihood of finding him is slim at this point. Here are more pictures, Anita shared with us.

The reason this picture is so dark is because it's a picture of a picture found hanging on the wall at the baby house. It's the closest thing we've got to a baby picture. Garrett's in the second to last row towards the center; Baury/Charlie is dead center. We're guessing Garrett to be around 3 here. All these babies look like deer in the headlights, don't you think? Horsing around with Anita and Baury.Testing his lungs with his old buddy Israel.
More cute shots.
Group shot. Naury is the handsome fellow wearing a traditional Kazakh hat.






Various shots of caregivers, medical directors and the orphanage grounds—all important pieces to Garrett's past. And last, but not least, his handsome buddy Charlie today at five years old:
Thank you, thank you, thank you Anita for finding us; we're so grateful for the photos and the stories you've shared with us thus far. Can't wait to hop on a plane and reunite the "long lost" brothers—and how fortunate that we're able to do so. My dream is to one day find Israel. Now wouldn't that be something?

15 comments:

Patrick & Eileen said...

Well I got goosebumps reading that! How wonderful for all of you!! Does Garrett recognize his friend? What does he make of old pictures of himself?

How thoughtful of this woman to locate you and share this with you. I think that it would be fantastic for the kids to get together. I'd love to see pictures of the reunion!!! :)

Eileen

kitzkazventure said...

I had tears for you as I read this post! What a blessing! So happy for your family to have these treasures. Looks like Cuteness was there from the early days! :)
karen

McMary said...

I got goosebumps also reading this--what a fantastic find. I can't wait to hear about when they get together--just wonderful for you and the boys.

marsrob said...

OH WOW> I have goosebumps reading that. His buddy is GORGEOUS and how spectacularly special that they found you! What a beautiful miracle!!!

Amy said...

Wow totally cool....what a gift!!! And what great shots of your little guy when he was ... er....littler. ; )

Matthew Ruley said...

How cool is that! Wow.

I have a photo of Alyona with one of her friends who was adopted somewhere here in the US - apparetly the boy was too shy to go play with his parents so he went with Alyona and with his parents. I am sure there are more pics of her with her friend if I could figure out who the parents are! I will eventually post that photo on my blog and see if anyone knows who these people are!

Unknown said...

I have tears in my eyes! What a wonderful gift your family has received. Pictures from our children's past are rare gems. More than that though you have the gift of being able to reunite these boys and keep them a part of each others lives. Precious!!!

Our Family of Bloggers said...

I, too, have tears in my eyes. That is amazing. I got pictures from another family from 3 weeks before we met Rylie and I was over the moon about those. I can't even imagine how excited you must be! And to plan a reunion for these little boys. How truly remarkable and special. They will share a unique a special bond for the rest of their lives. Truly, amazing!

Paula said...

Wow, that is so cool that she found you and now you have those pics. What a treasure for you and Garrett will love looking at them too!

Tricia said...

That is so awesome to have a connection to Garrett's past. You really have something to look forward to!

Susan said...

KAREN..OH MY GOSH! I AM SO GLAD i have found this super fast wirless network so i can see these pictures!

GOD IS SO AMAZING! I am just sitting here speechless and just so full of thankfulness that you found each other.
What a wonderful wonderful blessing.

Garrett is an adorable lil boy, it's easy to pick him out in the pictures. I am so happy he has you for his parents, and so glad that you found him, and that he had so many people love him until you could love him.

what an INCREDIBLE BLESSING.
i'm so HAPPY for you guys!!
SO COOL!!

Alaina said...

That is SO cool! What a wonderful blessing! Enjoy your time of reuniting the kids!

Stephanie and Gary said...

i am reading back and enjoying your posts so much. When I got to this post, I was just shocked an amazed at the adoptive blog community, at serendipity, chance and blessings from above! How amazing to have been reunited with a long lost brother!
Stephanie

Anonymous said...

The author of littlekazman.blogspot.com has written an excellent article. You have made your point and there is not much to argue about. It is like the following universal truth that you can not argue with: Progress cannot be achieved without suffering. Thanks for the info.

Anonymous said...

littlekazman.blogspot.com is the best. Thank your for this article. I enjoyed it very much.
AAA Toronto Payday Loans 1172 Bay St #101, Toronto, ON M5S 2B4 (416) 477-2817