

Another first was back-to-school shopping. We took Sade and Garrett shopping at the same time. It was a bittersweet event—with Garrett starting kindergarten and Sade finishing (hopefully) her senior year. Sade and I have been sharing this ritual since first grade—where does the time go? I reminded her this was her last shopping trip with me, but she was quick to say that next year we'll be shopping for college. (Yikes, I'll need to take out a second mortgage to do that.) The big kids start on the 2nd of September and for the little guys (like Garrett) it's the 4th. He just loves wearing his backpack around—it's so cute to watch him load it up with books.
Then there was his first trip to a museum—the Minnesota Children's Museum in downtown St. Paul. Every third Sunday is free admission day (thanks to Target Corporation). Garrett had a blast and he was so good that day. Before we went, we had a little talk. I asked him to stick close to mommy because I would be very sad if I lost my Garrett. For added insurance, I wrote on white tape his name and phone number and slapped it on his back. He stayed glued to my side—grabbing my hand on the stairs and checking in with me at every exhibit. What can I say? I lucked out and got a very considerate kid. This museum seems very similar in scope to the one in Phoenix (see the Tennen's blog.) Here's a snapshot of our day...






This is the first arts and crafts project he really "got" into: paper bag puppets—a wonderful birthday gift from our friend Lindsay. Here he's making a "blue" bird. 


And last, but not least, his first rubber ball hat. He and Bob were throwing the ball around when Cody (our dog) sunk his teeth into it and there went the rubber. (Okay, get your mind outta the gutter. LOL) I actually think it would make very practical rain hat, don't you?

Okay, I fibbed–I have one more first: Garrett's first piece of junk mail from Synder Drugs. To see his name printed was quite impressive. Just think, he's now on somebody's mail list. Next it'll be phone solicitations. Credit card applications. Time share opportunities. Welcome to America Garrett.
13 comments:
Don't you love the Children's Museum? Our girls were there on Friday. I didn't know about the Target special on every 3rd Sunday. I'll keep that in mind for future reference.
Glad that the first dental appt went so well.
Hope the first day of school is great!
What a fun post. I love museums. Especially interactive ones. A crazy thing we do every once in a while is fly to the Spam Museum in Austin, MN. If we drive from our house it takes 6 plus hours. But flying is just shy of 2 hours. We land at the little airport in Austin and borrow the courtesy car and drive over to the museum. It's a silly, fun museum with a goofy store full of Spam stuff.
Hi Karen,
Thanks for your nice comments on my blog.
It has been a hard time for me but I love reading your blog--You have one of the cutest kids. It is great to see how he has grown and to hear how considerate he is being.
Hope you have a great 1st day of school.
I also hope to join your play group some day.
loved the pictures... and finding the long lost friend... awesome.. I'm sure you were so thrilled... .that is such an awesome thing for those boys to grow up with..
wow.. God is SO good!
Ha ha ha - the mail thing cracks me up. "Welcome to America" is right!
He looks so happy! What fun!
Hey there's Garrett's name in PRINT! Wasn't that a big deal in The Nerd (he was in the phone book though - no mail)...
Sounds like you have had fun - lots of it! Soooo happy things are going well. It is a time of transition - but it seems like you are all handling things so beautifully. Garrett is SO HANDSOME!
awww i'm gonna cry. Look how sweet Garrett is. WHAT A CUTIE. He is so handsome and sweet and adorable and already getting credit card apPS...love it~!!
the museuem is really cool...and so was his craft project.
Ya'll are doing so wonderfully wtih him...warms my heart it does!
ok, must get to bed.
Had to get my Garrett fix before night night in kaz.
ps. way to post so many pics. I think that was a record for you.
pss. in kostani, we don't have to take pics to court. We will bring our laptop, and show her some,but it's not required.
psss they would not let you take pics of Garrett? why? i am glad you have the darling pics from when he was younger then and you can make up for it now.
i think he is going to thrive in school...
The photos are great. Looks like you are having fun. Garrett is looking like such a young gentleman. Hey, I second the thought on your invention ideas! LOL! Add a mammogram machine to that, too.
That must be so neat to see the world through Garretts eyes. Everything is new and to be explored. He is such a good boy. You guys are really blessed.
That museum looks like fun! I have to say, I am jealous looking at your backyard with all of the grass and trees (I don't think I will ever be a true Desert girl!) I just saw your last post too. I CANNOT wait to see pictures of the special reunion. That is amazing. I am sure there won't be dry eye in the room or in blog world when all of us get to see pictures! Have a good first day at school, Garrett!!!!
Oh, I forgot, one more thing... so Rylie gets credit card offers too! She has a United FF account from our flights home from Kaz. She gets credit card offers by mail and people (usually from India) call to ask to speak with her. I always laugh when they call at 8pm to speak with "Ray Lee Tennen" and I am like- she is asleep. And she is a baby. Please take her off your list!
Seriously, welcome to America kids!
Garrett is a cutie. It's amazing that he was so good at the dentist. I would be thankful for that.
Love the backpack photo :)
I wish we had a Children's Museum here in D.C. It closed in 2004. It will reopen in 2012 and have a name change. We may or may not be here in the area then. I thought to look to see if we had one here after seeing Sara take her daughter Rylie to one in their city. Looks like fun! Oh...I just did a google search and we have one in Baltimore!
I can't believe he's already on some mailing list already! Wonder what he'll get next?
Eileen
Post a Comment