Other post adoption paperwork have included: applying for Garrett’s social security card (have it), re-adoption paperwork (it’s been three months since it was sent in), Minnesota birth certificate (just got it today—now it’ll be easy for Garrett to get a copy of his birth certificate, imagine how difficult it would be getting one from Uralsk), U.S. passport (still need to do), kindergarten registration, special needs assessment (tons of documents associated with that) and more. Hopefully I’m now done for a while.
Sometime this month, the special needs evaluator from the school district will be visiting Garrett at daycare to observe his interactions and skill levels. We, as well as his daycare teachers, had to fill out individual questionnaires called the ABAS form. This will help determine whether Garrett “qualifies” for special education like speech therapy and OT. One of his teachers told me that Garrett has come along way socially but felt he could really use some one-on-one therapy in order to catch up with his peers. When he’s alone with us, he’ll count up to 20. In a group, he won’t speak at all for fear of being ridiculed. Yesterday was open house at his daycare. They had a bouncy gym set up outside. Bob caught a boy (on film) being a bully and sitting on Garrett.
This picture tears me apart. Right after that another boy from his group did the same thing to him. This made us really angry; we don’t want Garrett to be the target of bullies. He’s not like other American kids. Right now, he’s sweet and obedient—and other kids can take advantage of him.September 3rd will be his last day at his daycare. Here are his teachers, Ms. Laura on the left, Ms. Cassie on the right.
They both have shown a great deal of patience and interest in his growth. And here is Ms. Joan; another teacher who really “got” what Garrett was all about.
I’m sure he’ll miss all three. And so ends another chapter.Exciting news on the MN Playgroup front—there are now six families coming on Sunday. Photos to follow.
10 comments:
I can't wait to meet you and Garrett on Sunday! Ok, I will hold back now that I know Garrett is leaving that school soon, otherwise I was going to ask where it was so I could go do some bullying of my own. Are these the same boys that probably bit him? I know, being a kid is tough, but soooo not what Garrett needs! Good luck on all that paperwork - it is never-ending, isn't it?
I love the sparkle in Garrett's eyes Karen..He is so darling!!
I will beat that kid up for you!!!
There are bullies everywhere, but I hope you encounter few rather than more.
The paperwork of a kid does never end! I was just thinking about Leeza's birthday...since it's Sept 5th, she'll miss the cut off for school on Sept 1st. I think that is fine with me....of course, we'll see how she is in 4 years when she's ready for that.
I can't wait to hear about the playgroup. I tried to bust Leeza out early, but the said no...and she was real tired today cuz she held a party in her crib all night.
Can't wait to see pics from today.
Garrett looks great with a tan.
He is soooooooooooo good lookin!!!
The picture is so sad. :-(
I hope you have fun on Sunday! Sorry we can't make it. (All of which will HOPEFULLY be explained in entirety at the end of the month.)
I hope the testing goes well and that you will be able to get some solid answers and recommendations. That would be awesome.
Oh man, that pic of the boy sitting on Garrett makes me mad. I can't stand bullies UGH
Sounds like a lot of paperwork, your on the homestretch now, though.
Oh, my heart just sank. I am so sorry. I just can't stand stuff like that.
I have been meaning to post comments on so many of your previous posts. It is hard to navigate the maze that is public school. It really sounds like you have a really progressive one. Hopefully, they will do what is best for Garrett. You just have to take one step at a time.
If it makes you feel any better, today Luca said:
"I don't love you."
"I wish you would go away."
"I wish you weren't my momma."
ARGH! We left a party early because he was being disruptive and I was pelted with a litany of accusations. Scott said we can't take things like this personally, but, boy, it is hard not to! It seems to be the norm for this age - a friend of mine told me her daughter said these things around 5 or 6 as well.
Congratulations on getting some of that paperwork done. By now you are a pro, right?!
Sorry to hear about the bullying. I'm afraid that our Miras will be susceptible to it as well as he is small for his age and meek. In fact, he is in daycare now and the only one not quite walking so I'm sure he gets taken advantage of. Just be sure to build Garrett's confidence and get him into a club or some other group that will also build his confidence (Cub Scouts?) and provide him a peer group that doesn't bully (a church group?). Maybe your playgroup will be that for him?
Also - I feel for you about the paperwork. We just submitted a one MONTH report! And are slowly but surely working our way through the rest...
Sorry to hear about the bullying. I'm afraid that our Miras will be susceptible to it as well as he is small for his age and meek. In fact, he is in daycare now and the only one not quite walking so I'm sure he gets taken advantage of. Just be sure to build Garrett's confidence and get him into a club or some other group that will also build his confidence (Cub Scouts?) and provide him a peer group that doesn't bully (a church group?). Maybe your playgroup will be that for him?
Also - I feel for you about the paperwork. We just submitted a one MONTH report! And are slowly but surely working our way through the rest...
It makes me so mad to see how other boys are treating Garrett. I hope this play group gives him good supportive friends to connect with. By the way--sorry I have to miss it but I hope to still be included with future plans.
Garrett just has the sweetest face and I would want to kick sand in that bully kid's face ;-) That stinks.
Shannon
Okay, oops, I did not read carefully so I was a bit premature asking about the play date. I'm sure we'll see an update, soon. I am amazed that you have completed so much paperwork already, and thank you for providing a great "to do" list for us. All we've accomplished so far is the social security card! We are nervous and excited for you as Garrett prepares to start school, and that sucks that he was bullied at day care. Hopefully a slightly more structured school program will be introducing "no bullying" concepts from the onset. Regardless, we know that with you guys as his parents, you will help him sort it all out.
Post a Comment