Monday, August 4, 2008

No meia sienna jaquesha koraymen

That’s “I don’t love you” in Kazakh. I got that little zinger thrown at me last night. It happened while we were quietly reading books on the couch with the TV muted. I noticed Garrett’s eyes weren't on the book, so I turned off the TV and out flew the hurtful words. Which prompted Bob to march him straight to bed. In his room, I overheard Bob tell him that what he said hurt mama and that he should say that he was sorry. His reply to Bob: “Papa, poopie.”

Fortunately, “I don’t love you,” sounds far sweeter in Kazakh than it does in English.

7 comments:

Paula said...

I know that feeling of the words all too well. I have a 19 year old. Don't worry about it, after a while you just get used to it. After all we are their parents not their friends right! :)

Kim said...

:-( Sorry your feelings were hurt but he doesn't mean it. We all will get those "zingers" throughout the journey of parenthood.

Patrick & Eileen said...

I wasn't adopted. But I do recall instances when I was very young saying something hurtful to my mom. It was just a response to a moment that probably got me upset. I didn't really mean them.

I'm sure the same goes with Garrett. He may not know exactly how to express his feelings so he chose to say something he knew would get you upset - just like he was upset the TV was turned off. He doesn't realize that what he said was more hurtful than him being hurt by the TV being turned off.

He knows that you two care and love him more than anything. I'm pretty certain he loves you :)

I hope hearing this helps take the edge off his words!

Eileen

marsrob said...

Oh dear. That must have hurt. Kids say things that hurt, and they just have to grow to understand the impact. You are a solid rock for that child and he is blessed!

Anonymous said...

Oh my, that must have freaking hurt. I know kids to that though, I remember telling my mom it wasn't my choice to be born. (yeah, what an idiot I was).

Tell him the ol' Sticks and Stones story, maybe that will work. But I know you are hurt, and I'm sorry.....
Shannon

Susan said...

oh man, i'm sorry. I'm impressed you knew what he was saying.
are you sure he wasn't saying...my mommy, you are the most beautiful and sweetest woman on the planet and i'm so glad you're my mom?
that is why my Kazakh translation says...

I get zingers from my 10 year old too...and, i got my mouth washed out when i was about 5 for it too.
Kids are always meanest to their moms...so, take it as a compliment. Garrett obviously feels close enough to you that he can now be mean.
:)

I love you Saren!!

qmiller said...

Oh...those words can be so crushing...especially from someone you love so much! My daughter occasionally wants to move in with the neighbor...it's usually when she's tired and is angry about the start of the bedtime routine. Based on your other replies, sounds as if its OK to assume it isn't adoption related!! Hang in there!
Quaintance