Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The dog gone days of winter

Today the thermometer on my dashboard read -19º—and that doesn’t factor in the wind chill. That’s downright cold. As a result, roads are even more treacherous. (At that temperature, salt doesn’t melt ice.) Within minutes of exposure, skin is at risk for frost bite. House pipes are more likely to burst. And it’s been a rough winter so far. It's gotten colder earlier on and it hasn’t been above freezing in like forever. But, hey I’m a hearty Minnesotan, so I should be used to it. So with that said, I will embrace all things cold. Starting with ice skating. Garrett had his first lesson last Saturday. Bob and I figure, he’s half Kazakh and Russian—it’s in his genes to be a hockey player. (We even have the Astana jersey framed in his room to serve as inspiration.) Here he is—his first time out.








Garrett enjoyed the class and, in particular, his teachers. He has always bonded more with adults than children, which seems only natural given that he has had to "please" his caretakers all his life to get the attention he needed. I'm just afraid one day he'll get taunted for being the "teacher's pet." But the good news is he wants to go back (there's eight more lessons to go). We've held back on a lot of activities. Both adoption agencies we've worked with have said that the first year we're supposed to coddle him and not overexpose him to too many activities or people. I think we're starting to get past that phase. I'd like to enroll him in swimming lessons and Sunday School. Maybe after that Cub Scouts, Karate or T-Ball. We'll play it by ear. For now, we'll put all our eggs in one basket: putting all our energy into developing the very "first" Kazakh American hockey star. Go Uralsk.

7 comments:

Kim said...

How fun to take Garrett skating. Noah had a blast when we took him. We are thinking next winter we will put him in classes, when he is able to listen. :) I love all things cold but I don't think I could handle -19!

Susan said...

ok, brrrr...cannot even imagine weather that cold!!!

Yay on the skating lessons-looks like he had a blast. I tried ice skating as kid and i was horrible..my ankles were weak i guess so i stunk. :)

I think Garrett (and you) will enjoy getting involved. I let Sean be in EVERYTHING when he was younger so he could figure out what he liked and what he didn't.
We were busy, but now he's narrowed it down cuz school is too hard now to be in everything. :)

Anonymous said...

BRRRRRRR!! When you're tired of that cold and ice nonsense, come visit me in Florida. I'll have a margarita waiting for you.

kitzkazventure said...

BRRRR! THat sounds like Kaz weather! I remember walking to the orphanage in - something...I think with windchill it was closer to - 50 or so...we had trouble converting so our translator always tried to figure out for us...needless to say...I have never been that cold in my life and we refused to take taxis...we said if they can do it so can we...crazy, I think! I feel for ya! How cute is Garrett on the ice!?! I think we may be able to send all the kids to the Olympics some day...maybe for Kaz. Garrett can do Hockey, Nick swimming, etc.!

Our Family of Bloggers said...

Garrett looks like a natural. You are right, it must be in his genes. And seriously, could he be any cuter?
Stay warm!

Matthew Ruley said...

He is such a handsome boy! Wow its cold there. I thought we were having a cold spell. Will be 33 Fri night.

Unknown said...

My husband would challenge you on that first Kazakh American hockey player thing. He is sure it will be Dmitrii. But Garrett is older, so he could beat him. :)

Love the skating photos. He really does look like he love it!!! You can see it in his eyes that he's having a good time.