So to see if I was the only one experiencing his bad behavior, I called his special education teacher today. It's common for kids to regress a bit after the long holiday break. While his academics hadn’t slipped, she was troubled by his attention deficit and inability to calm himself down. TO’s don’t work. in fact, she felt he had regressed back to September behavior. I actually think he’s where he was in Uralsk—out of control, always moving, but now with an angry, mean streak thrown in. For example, this morning, I wanted to put cream on his ringworm and he got so mad he kicked the cabinet door, leaving a big black scuffmark. Even more troubling, his teacher told me that he was only the second child in her 25-year experience that she felt could benefit from drugs. Not a good thing to hear. We have a meeting scheduled for February 12th with his IEP team to discuss next steps. Once he turns seven in July he’ll age out of the district help that he’s now receiving. We may need to try and see if he qualifies using other “testing” models. We’re also scheduled to have him tested with the psychologist/behaviorist over at the International Adoption Clinic to get an independent opinion. If Dr. Johnson recommends that he needs therapy it will help in our battle to secure services. To be honest, I haven’t pushed much this past year because I felt Garrett needed time to learn English and catch up with his peers. But starting in April, I’ll get more aggressive about it. I’ve been told you need to fight for every service you get and I’m prepared to do so. Especially since I know we’ll be unable to afford many of these services on our own.
Now I'll end on an up note. Here are some cute shots of our beloved pets. Here's Little Guy being a snuggle bunny with Bob. That's Biddy on the left:
Then there's twinkle toes Cody modeling his paw protectors. Those little suckers really come in handy when the temps dip below zero. Don't want him getting frozen toosies. (Don't you love the reflective strips—very flashy, ay?)
11 comments:
My 4 year old (adopted from Uralsk also but as a baby) is also pretty defiant especially if you try to stop her from doing something since she wants to be in total control. (My two year old - also adopted - has a totally different personality.) I have started teaching her how to do deep breaths sitting in a quiet spot on the stair landing (it is really timeout but I don't dare call it that). I also just went to a reward and treasure box (small items less than 50 cents) system with a daily chart with 8 things listed that she will get a sticker for if she does them (she currently is getting about 5 stickers per day). You need 10 stickers (so takes two days or part of two days) to be able to go in the treasure box. Hopefully this will increase good behavior (I have read that a positive system works best sometimes instead of a take away system). Good luck.
This is all very difficult stuff. I am so sorry you guys are deaing with the whole severance thing. What a stressy thing. It sucks. No two ways about it. And it is so hard what you are goin gthrough with the little one. Hopefully he'll pass through this challenging time with support - he has such incredible, devoted parents!
The only thing I hate about blogs is that you cannot have face to face communication. I want to give you a hug (and for me, you know now, that is a big deal! LOL!)
I was trying to think back to the timing and I think that we had a really rough patch with Nick about this same time. We were doing time outs, room time, yelling, screaming, heck, we were practically having fist fights....Nick being the stronger and more aggressive one!
The worse it got, the more tense the household got. I don't know if he fed off of it but he definitely was aware.
Nick never acted out at school but he was younger and not in school but twice a week.
It did just seem to take time to get over but my concerns were how was I not going to scar him mentally in the meantime. We really had to consciously do the holding and giving him love thing so that he would know he was loved. On the good days, I tried to go overboard with compliments
and assurances.
Nick still goes into a rage cycle now and again but they are shorter. If fact, I had one of my worst meltdowns the other day when he was just being a little devil. ( I actually think I handle the cycles worse now because we have longer periods of good behavior in between so the bad seems even worse??) I just cried and cried. I felt bad that it was right in front of him because it stressed him out. He was trying to comfort me and pat me on the head. I am sure therapy will occur someday for this... :) I assured him that I loved him but I had had enough of his disobedience. He has actually been a little better since then....probably doesn't want to see "crazy" mom again.
It is so hard to know what is the "right" thing to do. I will be interested to see what your adoption Doc says. We just always return to boundaries and love. There were and are many days that I just want to give in to avoid the fights but we knew that it would be worse if we gave in.
And, then to top it all off you have the job stuff. I am so sorry. I have had two family members lose their jobs this winter and others are on the line. It is so scary. Garrett may sense that stress too.
We have been studying Moses in our bible study and it reminds me of your situation. The Israelites are fighting a huge, huge battle and Moses has been told to keep the rod raised to help them succeed but the battle continues and he weakens and tires. It takes two of the elders standing next to him to keep his arms raised so that they could win the battle. So just know, I am standing beside you in spirit and prayer holding up your arms so that you and Bob can persevere thru this battle and come out on the other side.
Hugs! K
Guess there must be some truth to the saying "When it rains; it pours" -- you guys are dealing with a lot right now. My heart goes out to you -- we'll keep you in our prayers.
It's just a thought, but do you think that Garrett may be sensing the stress that's going on around him? Even though we try to keep things low key with Hailee sometimes she says something that makes me realize she knows much more than we're telling her.
Thinking of you ... if you ever need to chat, please call!
So many things going on all at one time. I will praying for Bob's job situation to work out and for you to get all the help you need with Garrett.
oh Karen, man, I am so sorry you guys are dealing with all this stress right now. I agree with the others-kids are very perceptive and i think it's quite probably that Garrett is pickin on your stress.
It's so frustrating not to understand what he's going thru-and why he asks the way he does, and why he's so angry. I'm glad you have Dr. Johnson right there.
I hope Bob comes to a peace with his decision and that you make some headway with Garret's behavior...I wish i could give you a hug too!
Sorry you are feeling the pinch of the economy. Is there a silver lining in the severance package? An ability to be a "free agent" with health care, perhaps? I hope it works out ok.
And, I'm sorry that Garrett has regressed. It is troubling that he had made so much progess. Perhaps he is transitioning to a new growth phase as I head kids can 'slip back' in some areas before they leap ahead? In any case, I hope you can find some behavioral modification or therapy that will help. I understand that it's not unusual for kids to have trouble handling their emotions - especially frustration. Miras has also entered a "naughty" phase since our break. I'm chalking it up to the terrible twos starting early as he is also starting to throw temper tantrums and attempting to bite out of frustration. And it 10X more ornery than he was before.
All the best as you face down these challenges!
I am praying for you.
Oh my, what tough times these are for you. Two steps forward....and then two steps back. I'm so sorry it has been so trying. I hope that Garret progresses well again and this regressive period is over quickly. He seems to have some very bright and dedicated parents so I'm sure you are doing everything you can for him. All my best to you about the scary job situation too. Positive energy and lots of love your way!
So sorry to hear you guys have hit a hard time in life. Everything always seems to hit at once doesn't it? I hope things work out on the financial end.
Have you talked with anyone about the possibility of Garrett having RAD? Sometimes it takes a while before the signs to surface. His behaviour does sound a bit like RAD. Especially the part about you being his biggest target for the rage. It is usually the person that the child really feels like they are bonding with/starting to love that they lash out at. Most cases that is the mom. It's a fear of letting go and really letting themselves trust those feelings of love and bonding that make them lash out.
I hope you find the answers and get the help you need to get Garrett through this. At least he has you to fight for him.
Karen,
Ahh, the airlines....I was laid off twice in one year with two different airlines. I've only had 10 years of flying and know the ups and downs of the airlines. I'm sorry that this is happening to you guys. The timing does stink and only 2 weeks to think on it! I hope that Bob will have another job lined up very soon.
I was thinking along the same lines as the other ladies who left comments. Kids really do pick up on things and he could be acting out. I really don't know? I hope that Dr. Johnson can be of great help to you. I have no doubt that you will be working hard to get things in the works on Garretts behalf.
My heart is with you during this time! Eileen
Post a Comment