Thanks for everybody’s comments to my latest post and “quandary.” I’m still reviewing books so I’ll have to get back to you on it. Like I wrote earlier, Garrett doesn’t get the concept of real danger. When we talk about it, he starts “pretend” punching and kicking in the air claiming to be Superman. In his mind, he’s stronger than the bad guy. But I also learned yesterday that our neighbor John did not take him to the park. The day in question went like this: after a period of time of calling for him, Garrett finally emerged from behind John’s garage. At that point, Bob asked him if he had gone to the park. Because Garrett thinks like a 3-year-old he said, “yes” so as not to get in trouble. The problem is, if you asked him if he had gone to the moon he would’ve said yes to that too.
When I finally got the story straight I felt awful that I called them (on Christmas Eve, no less) and assumed that John took him for a walk without asking. I had to apologize and immediately went next door. As it turns out, Garrett walked over to John’s while he was plowing the driveway of his garage, which is not visible from our back door and the noisy snow blower made it impossible for Garrett or John to hear Bob’s calls. Thankfully, both John and Dorothy graciously accepted my apology. They’re the best neighbors anyone could ever have and I would never want to jeopardize that relationship. They even had a little Target gift card for Garrett (which made me feel even worse that I didn’t walk over with some fresh baked cookies or something—it’s now on my to-do list.)
Another thing Garrett hasn’t “gotten” yet is touching and eating things that can be toxic to him. The other morning I caught him messing around with the cleaning products under the sink. Then I found an open vitamin jar and smelled vitamins on his breath. He swore he only ate one but who knows for sure. Although he understands the concept of being “sick” (as he’s experienced it many times), he has no clue what it means to get sick and die. I tried explaining that it’s like going to sleep and never waking up and that it’s bad and it would make mommy and papa very sad. So until he can be trusted, we’re back to putting toddler safety locks on all cabinets that contain questionable items. This parenting thing is definitely one step forward and three steps back.
Happy New Year everyone. May we (I) have more patience for those things that are out of our (my) control.
8 comments:
WOW. Glad you figured out the neighbor thing! Oh, yes, this parenting thing is so hard! I wish there was a guidebook with "right" and "wrong" answers! Sounds like you're doing great in spite of the challenges! Happy 2009!
Amen on the last line . . . patience, patience, PATIENCE!
Garrett will get all this . . . then there will be something new :).
Happy 2009!
Happy New Year Karen! And yes, patience for all of us as we find the right answers. Or not. :-)
Parenting is so hard, and every kid is so different. Sean was never into the cabinets and such like his sister is.
My sisters 4 year old son got into the medicine cabinet and downed a whole bottle of children's tynelol...and had to be rushed to the hospital to have his stomach pumped. SCARY!
Kids think they are invincible, even more so for Garrett who has been in such a structured environment for so long.
Your neighbors sound wonderful...but then again, so are ya'll!
These things are the scariest part of parenting, trying to keep your kid safe without keeping your eye directly on them 24 hours a day which is impossible. It seems that they are always a step ahead of us, too!
Oh, I feel your pain! We STILL have all of the cabinets toddler locked. I feel like surely I won't have to worry about this much longer but just when I think things are not so interesting to him he still seems to find the stuff you lay out for one minute or two....never fails......the permanent marker, the vitamins (he had a nice snack also), zantac, advil....you name it, he has found it. We have found that our most dangerous times are after or during trips when meds are in your luggage and you are not in your usual routine of putting them away! Frustrates me to no end. I think like Susan said, some kids are just driven to be curious and our older ones have alot of curiosity to catch up on as well as the height and smarts to obtain it! We have been able to explain more lately about safety and danger like I said before but you are constantly just hoping and praying that the one time he gets thru the system is not the most dangerous one! So right there with ya! ;) My favorite one is when he found the vicks vaporub (I think I left it somewhere when I got distracted...wonder how?)and dipped all of his matchbox cars and miniture animals in it....I still find one occasionally in his toys that had the vapodip! Funny but not funny...if you know what I mean! We all had clear nasal passages for awhile when sitting in the family room! :)
well, you are doing all you can do so let that be comforting. putting toddler locks is essential if his behavior is at the 3 year old level. you just have to think of him as that much younger until he catches up, and he will. and as angela said, once he gets it there will be something new. that's inevitable so do not be hard on yourself. this too shall pass.
LYoiu are doing an awesome job Karen--from reading your posts, I think that you are one of the best moms ever and I look forward to asking you for advice.
Post a Comment