
The other child who’s got a big milestone coming up is Sade. The following Sunday, she turns 18—and the next day, we celebrate our 11th year of being matched. Yowza. I remember the first day we met back in 1998. The caseworker at Big Brothers Big Sisters and I knocked on her door and a girl (who looked to be about seven) answered. I just assumed this was Sade and focused all my attention on her. We were invited into the living room and as I sat down I noticed two little girls in the corner. One was a toddler and the other was giggling nervously. The giggly girl had her hands up over her face, so it was hard to tell how old she was, but this itty-bitty thing turned out to be Sade. I looked at her and announced, “Happy Birthday—I’m your birthday present.” And that’s how it started. We’ve definitely have had our ups and downs. But she’s grown into a beautiful young lady with a great set of values. Unlike many of her friends, she’s stayed away from drugs, alcohol, cigarettes and “bad” boys. I’m very proud of her. Most importantly, I will be in the front row come graduation time this June cheering her on until I’m horse. She will be only the second in her family to graduate from high school. (And hopefully the first to attend college.) I’m like the proud mama here.
Now I need to figure out how to make her birthday extra special. Any thoughts out there? Puleeez, I need help.
And last, but not least, some of our boy’s milestones. Garrett can now identify colors, shapes and all the letters in the alphabet (still needs help with numbers). He can write his first and last name, color inside the lines, count to 30 (I think), recite his phone number—and is proficient at solving 48-piece puzzles. He stands two inches taller, his shoe size has grown three sizes and has gained four pounds in the past nine months. He plays on his own now for short periods of time. The odd thing is he has no short or long-term memory to speak of. Not sure why. Maybe he’s suppressing things or lacks the communication skills. Or maybe he’s like our dog, Cody and just lives in the moment. I suppose time will tell.
5 comments:
So proud of both of your girls! Can't think of a graduation present, but will ponder it ;-) A frivolous spa day (to relax after all of her hard work) would be fun, but so would a college weekend to give her a taste of what it would be like?
you are a proud momma...with much reason! Bob's daughter is a very lovely young lady. :)
That is great news about Sade....graduation gift...maybe a shopping day with just the girls with lunch...a grown up kinda celebratory girls day...and i loved Shannon's college weekend idea as well.
That is awesome news about all Garrett's accomplishments. I am sure he lives in the moment, but also maybe doesn't quite comprehend what happened to him and why his life now is so amazing...I imagine that is a lot for someone so very young to process.
You are so amazing.
Did you hear from your friend?
Wow - lots of reasons to celebrate!
Wow, Congrats to the grad....quite an accomplishment! Happy Birthday to Sade! I don't know what "type" of 18 year old she is but I would have loved a little get-a-away to a B and B or cool Inn/lodge. Maybe you could take another special friend of hers and just have long talks about goals, dreams etc. They always have ways to make the stay special at most BB's. THey are cheaper in the winter/early spring also. Check BBonline.com (I think) or SelectRegistry.com (nicer ones). Just a thought!
Wow Garrett really has grown. I found my growth charts that I took to Kaz the other day and charted Nick's new ht/wt. Boy, it is astounding! He is above the mean for both. Sounds like he is really catching up with academics. Nick is just now getting to 20. He is just not into numbers as much as lettes. I still can't get him to write much. We have a conference with his preschool teachers next week. Part of me is panicked that they are going to tell me that he is not doing as well as "I" think he is but We will just have to go with our instincts with this whole Kindegarten thing.
Random question....Does Garrett like to spin in circles? Lately, it is Nick's self-stim of choice...it drives me batty! I would rather him suck his fingers until he is 10 then spin around and around...ugh!
Hugs!
Lots of reasons to celebrate up in MN, huh? Two very special graduations it sounds like! Laughing about your comment about Garrett living in the moment like your dog. I guess time will tell, though I imagine Susan is probably right- a lot of stuff for a little man to process.
Post a Comment