Friday, January 30, 2009

First report card

Lucky for us, Garrett can’t read, or else he would’ve thrown his report card down the sewer or made up a story that the cat ate it or something, because it sure wasn’t pretty. How they grade K-3 today is different than I was a kid. I remember O was for outstanding; G for good; S for satisfactory and U for unsatisfactory and it ended with the teacher’s comments. We also had four grading periods and used the same report card throughout the year, so my mother could see whether I improved my grade or not. Then it was returned with the parent’s signature. (Or with a very good forge job.)

Garrett’s report card was 8-1/2 x11 printed two sides. The only signature required was his teacher’s. The grading is as follows: E is for exceeding: shows outstanding and consistent mastery of skills and concepts. S is for succeeding: achieves grade-level expectations independently after instruction. P is for progressing toward grade-level expectations and N is for needs improvement: insufficient progress toward grade-level expectations.

He was given 9 P’s and 13 N’s in letters, writing, listening, speaking, numbers and science. Then there’s the social and work skills portion of the report. Grading is different again: + is for outstanding; / is for satisfactory and – is for needs improvement. He got 12 - needs improvement and one / satisfactory for uses positive interactions to resolve conflicts. No space was provided for his teacher to jot down her comments. (Now mind you this is the first report card we received all year—and it’s almost February.) Basically, he’s not doing well in kindergarten, which didn’t come as any surprise to us, but the way the report card was designed renders the grading meaningless. Thankfully, we have an IEP meeting scheduled for the 12th, so we’ll hear feedback from a number of people including his regular and special ed teachers, the school psychologist, the OT, the district representative and the ESL teacher.

The bottom line is, Garrett needs a lot of help catching up. Unlike Russian or American children, Kazakh boys and girls don’t start school until they’re seven, which puts him at a real disadvantage. Combine that with the fact that he’s been in an orphanage his entire life and you can totally get why he got the grades he did. My gut tells me he needs to repeat kindergarten and this time around it should be all day kindergarten. (But that means he’ll be eight by the time he enters first grade.) Plus, he needs to go to summer school. Then there should be therapy—lots of it—speech, OT and probably a couple more that I'm not aware of. But what I think and what the school district thinks may be entirely different. There’s limited funding when it comes to special education, but I refuse to let Garrett fall through the cracks. I want him to feel successful and not get discouraged or feel inadequate as they “graduate” him to the next grade. I so wish we got Garrett when he was younger. There would’ve been more time for him to catch up. It seemed so unfair to start him in primary school right away. But we didn't have a choice. So now all we can do right is wait until the 12th for their recommedations. Which coincidentally happens to be the day after Bob makes his final decision—a fun time will be had by all.

P.S. Monday is our second post-adoption visit with our social worker. The second post-adoption report is already due—can you believe it?

11 comments:

Unknown said...

That is the craziest sounding report card system I have ever heard of. And why in the world is the first report card coming out now? My kids have had 2 already. I hope that you get good information and cooperation at his IEP meeting.

Have you looked into any outside therapies for him? Dmitrii gets PT, OT and speech at the local hospital and it is paid for by a scholarship from Children's Miracle Network. I recomend looking into scholarships they offer for special needs children. Wonderful source of help! Also check with the state to see what they offer.

CL Lambert said...

Karen I know what you mean. Since Ry is in 4th grade we are finally (I think) accustomed to this bizarre way they rate our children in schools now a days. I have to stress to you that the teachers really are no longer able to make much if any comment on your child. Would never want to say the wrong thing you know. It is crazy. Now in 4th grade in our district they moved to letter grades. That has been much clearer for us. Good luck!

kitzkazventure said...

On a positive note, I need those alot, Nick got a pretty rough "first" report card last year but his last one of last year looked much improved. I learned to never under estimate how much they don't get simply because of language...We really thought he "got" more than he did. Over the summer, it just sort of all clicked. As you know, we still got us some issues but there is so much more that he can do vs. what he is not doing or behind. I hope they are on the same page with you when the time comes.

k

Patrick & Eileen said...

Gosh, report cards sure have changed so much since I was a kid.

I have no doubt you'll be working hard on Garrett's behalf. I certainly hope that at your upcoming meeting they'll see it your way too.

I look forward to hearing their recommendations.

Fingers crossed, Eileen

Kelly and Sne said...

They give report cards in kindergarten???? Boy am I out of touch!

I also wonder if Garrett will catch up with time and more therapy/tutoring (does one tutor a kindergartner?). He is a bright kid and I'm sure dealing with more transition stuff than schoolwork. Do they have special programs in school that would help you to keep him closer to his age group but not fall through the cracks?

I am sure that things will work out - in all ways for your family - so try to stay positive.

Matthew Ruley said...

I think whoever devised the report card LOVED sports cause the letters spell ESPN. Come to think of it, I think that's the letters they use for the A's. When I was a kid, there were two (they changed): OPAL and ABCDF.

Anyway, I've fallen behind on your blog so I'm going to catch up here in my comments.

Man you've had it tough the last few weeks in every which way. I'm sorry I haven't been here for you. I feel your pain both in the employment AND child behavior AND wanting to loose it. As you can tell from my blog. The insurance thing is a real perk! Times sure are hard right now for everyone.

As for Garret... Perhaps I can just empathize. Andrey is very oppositional and he tried to hit, bite, spit, kick alot. Although its lessoned in ite intensity (doesn't back up and run across the room at me anymore, although he did hit me with full force today. Luckly he's still under 30lbs and it doesnt really hurt, but once he grows bigger it would).

And his intensity for wanting thing is growning. He wants crazy things like to sit in the car and watch TV or just sit in the car, or go swimming in the cold weather, or go for a walk or -what was it today? Something odd. I think what it is - is that when he was in Kaz, he couldn't want anything. Everything was dictated to him and now he has TOO many choices and no focus, except whatever it is that he wants, and what that really is - is to get what he wants (not whatever it si he wants, how that makes sense). He's too young and too visceral to be rational, so its irrational and over the top, uncontrolable.

Today he wanted to go for a scooter ride, but it was too cold so I said let's get in the car, and then he wanted to stay, except when I said okay let's stay then he wanted to get in the car and go...

I tried something new on Weds which didn't seem to work while I was in the throws of it... he was having a fit in the back seat... crazy fit and he kept saying "mommy TALK TO ME" but he just wanted control - not for me to really talk to him, so I turned off everything and sang. I sang (to the tune of Where is Love from Oliver: "I love Andrey. I love Andrey. I love his eyes, I love his hair, I love his heart. Andrey is a good boy, a nice boy.." During he yelled "stop singing" but I kept going. Afterwards, he was much more calm and loving.

Have you thought of trying subliminal messages? I do like the InnerTalk CD that is Good Manners for Children. Seems to hlep. They have and ADHD one but I haven't tried it enough.

As for my thought on medication (and I assume its ADHD or something of that sort)... Why not? We have Andrey on it. I always thought I was against it but can you imagine NOT being able to focus? I've had anxiety and I can't imagine living like that all the time. He's probably had so much cortizole run through his system... Its helped Andrey, and its helped me! After a few months it wears off and it has already (since Oct) but you know what? He's gotten many more skills and habits since... he can focus on TV and do good pretent play which he couldnt' do before and play with his VTech computer and watch TV. It helps him make good choices too, even though recently he's been a bear... Things are much less frantic.

Let's see... Alyona will turn 8 when she is in 1st grade. It may bother her someday that she's the oldest kid in the class... but I think it is the best thing for her. And A is 2 y 3 mo younger will be one grade under her...

Anyway, I hope I helped. We can chat if you want.

Susan said...

I'm reading your post feeling very upset and protective of Garrett,and also you guys!!
Sweet lil Garrett has LEARNED so very much since you have been home, and you have been such an incredible advocate and cheerleader for him!

I know Garrett's situation is unique, and obviously, a "standard" report card doesn't begin to fit Garrett because of all the things the child has learned..um, including a WHOLE NEW LANGUAGE.

I am sorry this was so discouraging for you and I'm so glad he could NOT read it. I'm so glad you are seeking specialists to get him the help he needs, and to take their advice on repeating kindergarten or not. Extra tutoring, summer school, anything to make learning fun for him to help him catch up.
He is such a sweet, darling lil boy and he's come so far, and you are the BEST MOM IN THE WHOLE WORLD.
You keep fightin the fight Momma bear..cuz you will win.

Love you guys-i wish I was there to give you a hug. :)

Regina said...

Wow, report cards HAVE changed a lot. Don't let the scores discourage you. They shouldn't compare him with the standards set by kids born and raised in the US, academically and socially.

You're doing great being the warrior mom. Keep pushing and searching for services and treatments. My gosh, what poor Garrett has been through! I hope that in a year or two your darling boy will have made even more leaps and bounds than you dreamed.

Good luck with the meeting and with Bob's big decision. I'll be thinking of you.

McMary said...

that report doesn't sound good but just remember all the things that Garrett has learned since arriving here and how far he has come. You are doing all the right things and I know you will keep fighting for him so Garrett will be successful.
Best of luck in your meeting.

Our Family of Bloggers said...

I know he isn't supposed to have completely special accomodations, but it seems completely unfair and unreasonable to me that they would use the same type of report card for Garrett- one that is inherently based on comparing him to other kids in the class. Hello? Really? You are his best advocate, and Garrett is lucky to have you fighting for him to make sure he doesn't fall through the cracks.
I'm no expert on the "whether he should do kindergarten again" issue, but as far as the age thing, I wouldn't let that distract you. There are a lot of kids that graduate high school at 19, so he'll be 19 in 12th grade. Choosing between a 19 year old senior in high school who is confident versus an 18 year old who has slid by, it seems like a no brainer. And for whatever it is worth, I was really young in school, always the youngest. I hated it and always wished I was the oldest- there are pros and cons for both. You have to do what is the best thing for your son. I'm glad you have this meeting coming up- keep fighting for him.

And I'll be thinking about you as Bob makes his big decision too.

You guys sure have a lot on your plate right now! HUGS to all of you!

marsrob said...

Already? Wow.

And I've said it before and I"ll say it again. Your son is blessed beyond belief that you are so devoted and so tireless on his behalf. He will flourish over time, we have no doubt. And it will be because of your unbelievable, overwhelmingly loving efforts to make sure he doesn't fall through the cracks. Beautiful.