Friday, January 16, 2009

Kazapalooza bound?

First off, thanks for the birthday suggestions for Sade. I know whatever we do, it'll be a fun time. (I know she can't wait to turn 18.)

I think because we've had so much cold weather lately that my thoughts naturally go to warmer places. One such place is Nashville, TN, the destination for the second annual Kazapalooza.

What is Kazapalooza? (This was taken off the website www.kazapalooza.com)

"After returning home from Karaganda with her daughter, Muriel Elrod, wanted to start a yearly event in which families who adopted from Kazakhstan could come together and celebrate the beauty of adoption. After searching, she was unable to find any such event for Kazakhstan. Muriel's family attended a weekend event for families who adopted from Guatemala and had a great time. Muriel wanted her daughter to have a fun weekend to look forward to every year and also wanted her to have friends who have a shared history and cultural identity...thus Kazapalooza was born. Muriel asked if anyone was interested in helping plan this event with her and Gretchen, Kristan and Michelle all volunteered immediately...thus the four planners were united. The event will occur every year in June and the location will change yearly as well. The first Kazapalooza was a huge success and was held in Chicago in June of 2008. Over 40 families participated in the weekend events.The goals of Kazapalooza are as follows:1. To give families who adopted from Kazakhstan a friendly inviting weekend to get together and celebrate adoption.2. To give our adopted children the yearly experience of being around friends who are also adopted from Kazakhstan and have a shared history and culture.3. To raise money for a charity (which will be chosen yearly by the planners) which solely helps the orphans left behind in Kazakhstan.4. To have fun! All families are welcome."

Although it's not until the first week of June, we've got our deposit in. Can't wait to meet all our blog buddies and their kazakhcuties. Let me know if you're going. (By the way, I've been to Lallapalooza and I know it won't hold a candle to this.)

13 comments:

Kim said...

We went last year and it is a blast. We will be there since it is 20 minutes down the road, unless we are in Russia. :)

Kim

Lori @ Five of My Own said...

we are planning to go as well.

Thad and Ann said...

We will be there. We went last year & had a great time. :)

Jennifer said...

We're planning on it, but haven't registered yet. So lazy of us!

Anita said...

I just received our registration form the other day. I CANT WAIT! I talked to Charlie about it and he's convinced he's going to Kazakhstan...

Susan said...

we have signed up...we are going. We cannot wait to meet our fellow blogga buddies. :)

Kelly and Sne said...

We'll be there with Miras and can't wait. I was so upset that we missed it last year because we were traveling still. I so look forward to meeting all of our blog friends who feel like family now!

McMary said...

Wishing you a great time--I had so hoped to go last year but my adoption wasn't complete yet and now this year I am on to another country--through the internet, I know you will meet a lot of great people there.
Also--congrats on all the accomplishments in your last post--you have lots of special kids in your life.

Diana said...

We are planning on being there!

Matthew Ruley said...

Cool. Not sure if we are going - we have weddings and births. I hope so - would be great! Hey what happened with you meeting your friend you hadn't spoken to in a long time?

Tricia said...

We plan on going, but need to send in our deposit yet. We're looking forward to meeting you and everyone else, too! There will be a great group of people there.

Alaina said...

Can't wait to see you at Kazapalooza! We went last year and are planning to go this year, also!

Julian and Sara said...

We are thinking of going - have to reconcile our schedules before we commit. It would be GREAT to see you again!!