Sunday, January 20, 2008

My dear friend from high school is going through a rough patch right now. Allison met her husband Marc 32 years ago when she was just 17. Allison was born with retinitis pigmentosa, a genetic eye disease that has left her legally blind. On top of that, she was diagnosed with depression eight years ago. Although life has been one challenge after another, she has lived her life with grace and has raised two handsome teenaged sons.

A year ago, things took a turn for the worse. After her father passed, the stress of holding her family together was the final straw. She had her first “episode” and woke up in a mental hospital. Apparently, one night she went into a rage and stabbed her son’s favorite stuffed animal. She doesn’t remember a thing. That’s when she found out she was bipolar and was in the middle of a manic attack. Now mind you, Allison is one of the sweetest, gentlest person I know. I was not there (she lives in Oregon) so it’s hard to imagine her raising her voice, let alone violently attacking a stuffed bear. After another “episode,” her husband asked for a divorce. Because of her condition, she’s unable to work. So not only is she losing her family, but also much-needed medical insurance.

It gets worse: last month, Allison attempted suicide. After landing up in the hospital again, Marc told her she was no longer welcome to come home. She’s staying with her mother in Florida, trying to make sense of it all. When she’s ready for visitors, I’ll fly out to be with her. As her friend, I feel so helpless. I went through a painful divorce many years ago, but her situation pales in comparison. I remember at the time feeling so alone. No one called—it was as though I had leprosy. I don’t want Allison to feel alone, but yet how can she not? Her blindness makes her world dark. Her depression makes her outlook dark. And her husband’s lack of compassion is cruel and dark. I fear she’ll try to take her life again.

Please, please pray for her healing. I know what can happen through the power of pray. Thank you.

10 comments:

Julian and Sara said...

Wow. I have seen a couple friends suffer with manic depression. It's a horrible disease. Allison is lucky to have a friend like you. She will get through this and she will pull strength from you.

Matthew Ruley said...

Very sad situation. I will pray for her.

Alaina said...

I will definitely pray for your friend and for you as you figure out how to best be a friend to her.

Susan said...

oh, that is so hard! I will defintely pray for her. That is very sad. You are a good friend, i'm sure that knowing you love her and support her will help her thru this dark time.

Anonymous said...

What a terrible situation. I will certainly pray for Allison's healing. --Barbara

Paula said...

I will pray for her. I hope she knows the Lord.

Anonymous said...

You are such a good friend. Your friend has many people praying for her and hoping for a GOOD outcome. Please keep us posted if it's not too personal.
Shannon

marsrob said...

Oh my goodness. Poor woman. That is sad and scary and you are an AMAZING friend. Such compassion. Mental illness is so challenging for the person suffering as well as for friends and family members - and all I can say is that your friend is blessed to have you in her life. Seriously, your commitment and understanding, even in the scary times - it is so beautiful. Very heartbreaking situation - and inspiring to hear you write about her so lovingly.
You'll be a very solid, caring, empathic parent. Such insight and kindness in trying times - your child will be lucky to have that model.

Thad and Ann said...

oh gracious, what a sad story. I will be prying for her. You are a great friend to stick with her through this time in her life.

Rochelle said...

Karen,

You should adopt her too.

I will be praying for both of you. I always pray for Bob anyway.

As you know, my close childhood friend is also manic/depressive and in an episode right now. She is lucky to have a husband who is sticking with her although I know he has tough times when he wants out. I have come to give him such credit because it is sooooo very very difficult to live with. I wish I could help your friend. I hope you are able to visit her soon. Take care sweet person Karen.