Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Reply from our agency

I finally got an answer from our agency regarding my previous post (that all regions in Kazakhstan were on hold until the post-placement reports started flowing again.)

“We have not heard this specific to Uralsk and/or Tree of Life—as related to Kazakhstan. It has always been a challenge and a concern as they make it quite clear that families make a commitment to provide post-placement adoption reports until the child is 18. From our perspective, and per our communications, the only families that are delayed at this time are those that want a baby as there are no babies waiting at this time in Uralsk. We have worked here a long time and trust our channels of communication.”

That being said, I’m going to get a little preachy here (please bear with me). It’s urgent that all of us who adopt comply with Kazak laws and complete reports on time—every single year until the child's 18th birthday. (No matter what the circumstances.) Otherwise, we could jeopardize future adoptions. I was told by my agency that most families are eager to complete their first and even second reports, but by number four, the idea of paying for a social worker visit gets old. There are families who move and don’t update their agencies, and as result, their agencies lose track of them. Others who lose their families through divorce along with their commitment to keep up with the reports.

However, there are those who deliberately choose to ignore the commitment they made at the time of adoption; as the laws of the country change (for example, now all reports must be apostilled, which they didn’t several year ago), many ignore the new methods of verification and say, “That wasn’t the law when we adopted so we don’t have to do that.” Some even say, “They can’t make us, it’s our child. We don’t like being told what to do.” (Even though the commitment was clear at the time of adoption.)

As time passes, some even forget the gift that they were entrusted with: a beautiful child. Please, please never forget the other children who await adoption—they're counting on each and every one of us to fulfill our obligations.

.

7 comments:

Alaina said...

So glad to hear that it is likely false.

I think the best way to look at PPR is that it's an opportunity to show off your kiddo(s) (who doesn't want to do that!) and a chance to reflect on the changes and growth that have occured each year. We are 2 PPR's in and we've really enjoyed them.

I think you can possibly do them yourself after several by a social worker...I need to verify that with our agency... Maybe it has changed? But yes, it is so important to do them!

Angela said...

AMEN! It is amazing how the lack of these reports can potentially keep kids in institutions unnecessarily. Whatever the reason for not submitting them (I understand them all), it is not fair to families and waiting children. Thanks for reminding all of us - APs and PAPs of our responsibilty.

Kelly and Sne said...

I couldn't have said it better myself!

In any case, I just found out that our dossier has officially landed in Semey so things must be moving still. I don't know if that's good news or bad news since the highs there right now are below zero. Brrr.

Matthew Ruley said...

I suppose we also need to make sure that after we complete our adoptions that we are proactive to find out what kind of report and apostilling needs to be done. We can't assume that we're suposed to do one a year after the first two - Kaz may decide they want them every 6 months until the child is 18, and we will need to know this. I hope that will not be the case! But I did agree to have all reports done by a social worker until they are 18 in my new dossier (wasn't the case with the May dossier).

marsrob said...

A very good post. We are already working on our first report to send in...we promise we'll send in every single one!

Thad and Ann said...

Preach on sister! :) I agree 100%.
We have 2 more to do with Gunnar & then we will do themourselves until he's 18. With Jabari they don't require any at all since his adoption took place after a certian date, I have asked our agency several times just to make sure. :) What keeps me sending them in besides the fact that we said we would is knowing there are alot of kids waiting & why do I want to screw with their future.
For our dossier we had to show that we have paid for Gunnar's PPR's, I think it was a great idea because of course you will do them since you have already paid, now if only our social worker would realize how important these are to have in on time. grrr :(

Paula said...

I can't believe that they would hold up adoptions because of that. I agree with you that if that is the term of your adoption then you had better do it. I hope that things start running again.