As everyone knows there's been a draft circulating around the Kazakh Parliament that would prevent both single and people over 50 from adopting. This email came across the yahoo adoption group today. It seems "reliable" even though I don't personally know the author or his adoption agency. Here's his email in its entirety:
"Meeting with U.S. Consul Jeff Lodinsky at U.S. Consulate Almaty—On
January 16, I (I'm assuming an agency representative) met with U.S. Consul Jeff Lodinsky to discuss the current
state of adoption in Kazakhstan . Mr. Lodinsky feels it has
stabilized. A couple of years ago—around the time of elections—
there were vocal politicians speaking out against international
adoption. He says there are not so many now. He believes that
Kazakhstan has come to terms with the fact that they are a provider
of children to other countries, but they never want to be one of
the top countries. Though international adoption in Kazakhstan
peaked at over 800 visas issued to adopted children of U.S. parents a
few years ago, the number of visas is now down to 540. Mr. Lodinsky
feels it could possibly go up again, but will never go over 700 given
the small population of the country. As long as there are no new
cases of Russian children being abused by U.S. parents, he feels that
international adoption will continue in Kazakhstan. But he
emphasized how much Kazakhstan and Russia are linked: "When Russia
sneezes, Kazakhstan catches a cold."
Things could also improve once the U.S. ratifies the Hague Treaty. He
feels it is beneficial that the U.S. will ratify it before Kazakhstan
does.
This shows U.S commitment should put to rest fears of
Kazakhstan kids not being taken care of in the U.S.
I asked about the proposed legislation that could prevent single
women and anyone over age 50 from adopting. Apparently, this is
proposed by the same legislators each year, but hasn't gone anywhere
yet. Mr. Lodinsky does not expect it to pass. About 20-30% of U.S.
adoptive families processing through U.S. Consulate Almaty are single
women, and he thinks these are wonderful adoptions that show serious
commitment by these adoptive moms."
So, hopefully this will put to rest all all the rumors and worries associated with it. Hallelujah.
6 comments:
This is good to know, thank you! S
This is good to know, thank you! S
Yes, I read this in the forum too. This is great you got good news from your agency. I am so happy for you. Soon we will hear even better news.
Boy that is good to know!!! Thank you so much for sharing it with us all!
Hey there! Kim and Jamie are a couple that have a link on my blog and are blog readers and PAPs. Kim wrote me a message asking if I could email you and ask if she can get an invite to your blog. She is particularly interested in Uralsk. Here is what she said to me:
Kim wrote @ February 1, 2008 at 4:21 am
Hi Amy! I have a huge favor to ask of you. If you read Bob & Karen’s blog (littlekazman) can you ask them to please, please send me an invite to their blog? I would love to read about Uralsk:) Thanks much!!!
PS - I think it is awesome that you posted the Five for Fighting link on your website:) I am going to visit it later…
Anyway...their blog address is:
http://voyage2vaughnmichel.blogspot.com/
Maybe you could invite them if you were so inclined. Thanks!! Amy
That is good to know. Thanks for the post.
Karen, where have you been?! I'm having withdrawl - hurry post something! tehe!
Post a Comment