
(In photo from left to right, starting in the back row: Matt and Cary; middle row: Suzanne, Susan, son Sean, Joe and Kristen; and, of course, me kneeling in the front.)
Although I’m working under some crazy deadlines at the moment, I still wanted to share the amazing weekend I had with the Tampa Kazak Mamas. First off, I met Suzanne and Susan through our mutual blogs. I saw photos of Suzanne, Susan, Sandi, Shannon and Stephanie hanging out together and thought, “Hey, they’re having too much fun. Why not invite myself down?” So I wrote Suzanne, asking her if I changed my name to Seren (because everyone’s name started with an “s”), could I join them? Her “come on down” reply was all I needed to set the wheels in motion. Luckily, I was able to fly standby (courtesy of my husband’s employer NWA) as well as Suzanne and Matt’s gracious offer to spend the night with them—it made it affordable and doable.
Here's Suzanne and Matt. Meeting them was like greeting old friends. (I truly felt like I knew them all my life.) Coincidentally, I now have five friends named Suzanne—I always kid Bob that I’ve never met a Suzanne that I didn’t become fast friends with. Later that evening, Susan, her husband Joe and son Sean joined us. Susan is this fun, sassy woman who cries at a moment’s notice. Her son Sean is wise beyond his nine years (in addition to being an up and coming beat bopper). Joe loves Susan and Sean (and chicken wings). Also joining us was Kristen and Cary—a very fun couple who are just embarking on their adoption journey. We even egged Kristen on to start her own blog, which she managed to do overnight! (Kudos, Kristen.)
As you can see from these photos (funny how everyone looks like they're "expecting" except for me), we laughed a lot. There were even a few tears as we watched a touching adoption video entitled “Journey to Jemima.” All in all, we created some fond memories.In fact, who knew I'd meet so many incredible people even before traveling to Kazakhstan? I am now inspired to start a Twin Cities "hot" Kazak Mamas (Jennifer M, McMary, Christy, are you game?) Our Tampa mamas can join us—I'll supply the pillows.
Finally, I (Seren) hope to remain a card carrying member of the Tampa Kazak Mamas.
8 comments:
How fun! Its so fun to get together with other prospective adoptive parents. There is so much in common and so much to talk about.
Great pictures, looks like you had a lot of fun :).
I think that is so cool that you all got together, how FUN!
Karen, I am so glad you came. It was so much fun!! :) I'm sorry you had to come back to crazy work deadlines though...
Today was my day to be "mom" to Ryan-the cute lil boy i showed you the picture of. I'm worn out, he is sure cute but wow, i forgot how babies are so INTO everything. He was in my ERgo carrier a lot.
Sean was a huge help. He was actually PRECIOUS. Wouldn't hold him unless he washed his hands first, was singing to him real softly in the car on the way to and from soccer, and would get upset if he cried. HE's like MOM, he's crying. I said, i know honey, and he would go find a toy to help him stop. It was really cute.
He is now sleeping in baby kaz's crib. I got him all of his schedule but i hope he sleeps well tonight. :)
So wonderful to meet you. You're awesome. :)
SO glad you could come down - forgot to send you pics of Matt waiting at the airport with flag- will do! I had so much fun with you. Come on down anytime. You're a permanent member of the Tampa clan!
Ok, I am SO JEALOUS!!! I wish I could have been with all of you guys! Living in RI feels so lonely now that you are all hanging out together! Hope to meet all of you in person someday!
You are all INCREDIBLE people!!!
It looks like you guys had a blast! People laugh when I refer to my online adoption "friends" but it is true-- you will have a child when this is over, but also so much more from the people you meet.
Jeannine
HI Karen,
Looks like you had a fabulous time with the Tampa moms--If you get them to come to MN, let me know--I too could change my name to get in on the action.
Mary
Post a Comment