Thursday, February 7, 2008

Ready, set, wait, wait, wait

So our dossier sits in Uralsk. Currently, there are no children in our age range (3-6) available to adopt. Sure, there are those listed on the registry that could be released any day now. (But there's also 12 other waiting families including ours—so take a ticket.) There are special needs kids, which if we were to chose one they'd release our LOI today. But, one child in particular has major medical issues and who knows if he would even make it back to the states alive.

As I said in an earlier post, our agency only works in Uralsk, so there's no place for us to go. There was a time when TOL and one other agency were the only one's working in the region. It seems times have changed. Apparently, Uralsk was the only region in Kazakhstan that didn't shut down during the post-placement report debacle. As a result, it opened the flood gates for other agencies to enter. Now supply can't meet demand. Uggh.

That being said, I do believe our agency is doing their very best to find us our "forever child." This is my lesson of trusting and letting go.

13 comments:

Alaina said...

It's so hard to believe that there are so few children available! I guess it's good for all the kids but hard for everyone waiting. Hope your forever child will soon be available. Thinking of you as you wait.

dnd82001 said...

I am sure this is very frustrating and heartbreaking at the same time. I wish I had words of encouragment but since I am hitting bumps as well I can only sympathize. I wish I knew what else to do or say to try and make sense out of any of it but I certianly don't. Keep the faith and it will all work out when the time is right.
Darlene

Susan said...

Karen, I am sorry for your setback. However, you know, kids could show up on the registry tomorrow and you could get a call. I still don't understand how it all works. However, this is what I do know. You are a wonderful person, and I am sure your hubby is too (i haven't met him, but i met you, so i can say that from personal experience) and you will be wonderful parents. You will most certainly travel when your child is ready for you to go. I know delays are frustrating and your heart aches for your child, but there is an infinite plan that we are not privy too. My prayers and thoughts are with you guys, and hopefully the time will go by quickly and we'll both be traveling together in the next 3-4 months.
I've seen things change on a dime, so it can happen. :)

Hugs girl!

kitzkazventure said...

Ugh! So Frustrating...wish they could send you to Zhezkazgan where we got Nick. I know there is at least one other sweet, sweet 3 yr old boy who just happened not to have my grandfather's birthday. I just don't understand why this whole process is so hard. The children are the ones that suffer. Praying that things will change soon! Ky. Karen

Unknown said...

I know you have probably heard it before but I will say it anyway... you will travel when your perfect child is ready for you. That is certainly what happened for us. I hope it happens for you soon.

Are all those other waiting families adopting in the same age range? I am glad more families are adopting children that are a little bit older, but I am sorry that it is slowing things down for you.

I am sending up prayers for the poor little one whose health is so poor.

Angela said...

I am sorry the wait continues. I am sure it is incredibly frustrating. I hope something changes for you all very soon. Hang in there! You WILL get there! It seems like the moment PAPs just can't take it anymore, they receive their LOI.

Karen, Glenn, Allie, Max, and Sam said...

Karen, we are sending good thoughts and prayers your way. It must be so difficult to be sooooo close. Hang in there. We all just keep learning as we go, particularly since things seem to change just when we think we have it figured out! :-) Funny, as I have a sense that we'll be saying the same thing about parenting! :-) We're pulling for you.

Matthew Ruley said...

I can't imagine sittin gon the edge of the cliff like that. What an emotional state. My thoughts are with you!

Jennifer said...

Good lesson, yet so very difficult to put into practice. I keep trying though!

I've been thinking of you lots lately! I hope you get good news soon.

sabarter said...

Keep your chin up. I can honestly say that quitting (smoking) and waiting (did that too) pretty much run neck in neck in the "hardest thing to do" race. You'll make it. I look back now and know that I wouldn't change a thing about waiting for my son to become available.

Kim said...

Hi Karen - I sent you an email but it wasn't sent because of the spam/firewall thingy. :) I hope you received the invite, if not let me know of another email I can send it to.

(the bumper sticker was a Christmas gift...LOL)

marsrob said...

Oh gosh, the waiting is soooo hard. You must be going crazy! We are soooo hoping that LOI comes soon and that they find a child for you right away!

McMary said...

HI Karen,
Hope you hear news about travel soon. I had looked at Crossroads also but choose CHI instead. It looks like my wait will be even longer--we all choose with the best knowledge we have at the time and put a lot of faith in those helping us. I am sure you will be united with your wonderful child.