Friday, March 21, 2008

Day #15: final day of bonding

Drum roll please. We did it--we completed our final day of bonding with Garrett Nurlan (and we've got the "official" paperwork from the orphanage to prove it.) Also received the electronic file of the apostilled guardianship letter (yay!), which we hope the judge will accept as proof that the document exists, thus paving the way for us to schedule a pre-court date. But then there's that three-day holiday again (New Year's starts tomorrow), so no paperwork will be filed until next Tuesday. Yulia (our efficient coordinator) is telling us the earliest our pre-court day could be is next Friday, the 28th.

Typically, the court date is 2-3 days later, which ironically is April 1st (not sure how I feel about the most important day of my life falling on April Fool's Day--lucky for us it's Kazakhstan and it's one holiday that doesn't get celebrated.) Next, we pray the judge will waive the 15-day waiting period, so that we're granted immediate custody of Garrett Nurlan. Following that, there's a 10-day waiting period. This is when we wait for Nurlan's birth certificate, final adoption decree and passport to come through. To get a passport, it requires a courier to travel to the capital of Astana (about 3 hours away by plane)to hand carry the documents to the proper authorities.

After court, we're basically on our own. (Something I didn't know until a couple of days ago.) We lose our driver and interpreter. (As a side note, they're available for $10/hour per person--a luxury we can't afford at the moment.) As I wrote in a previous post, our apartment is 40 minutes away by foot from the center of town. The sidewalks and streets are very muddy and Garrett Nurlan would never make it. (And he's way too heavy to carry.) The only reason we'd venture into town is for the internet and to visit a couple of other adoptive families we've gotten friendly with. But Yulia did offer us her phone skills (calling a cab is something we're not going to attempt on our own). On the plus side, our apartment is close to an indoor children's playground, a bowling alley and an iceskating rink (along with a small supermarket nearby). I'm sure the first week with our son will be trying. He'll miss his friends and life as he knew it. (Just like his mama feels right now.)

After the 10 days over, we should be good to leave Uralsk. Our next stop will be Almaty where we'll have scheduled medical visits with the U.S. Embassy (all necessary to get Garrett Nurlan's exit visas). This tags on another 2-3 days to the trip. All told, we should be on our way home around April 19th. (Fingers crossed.) Where Aunt Rochelle (and our other friends) will greet us at the airport, carrying a large chicken and artichoke, thin crust pizza in her hands. (Hint, hint.)

In the meantime, here are more pictures of downtown Uralsk. This one is the government building (not sure if this is where court will be held).

This is the History Museum. We have photos from our tour of the place (but they need to be downloaded onto a disc). FYI: if you want to take pictures inside most buildings, you need to ask permission beforehand. Most times there isn't a sur-charge, but this museum asked for an additional 100 tenge to do so.

A typical "political" billboard that dots the landscape (this one is of the Kazakh president--not sure what it says).

And, finally, one of the many markets we shop at.

11 comments:

Kim said...

Wow, I can't believe your bonding is over already! I hope your court date comes soon. Have a great weekend!

Kelly and Sne said...

Seems like you are flying through the process. I'm sure you'll get along fine on your own as it sounds like there are plenty of amenities. Just keep a sense of adventure about you. It'll be good to have the alone time to really get to know each other and to bond. And I don't think the taxi calling is that bad - just make sure that the names and addresses of where you'd want to go are all written down in cyrllic. Speaking of which, I was going to try to translate the billboard for you but it is primarily in Kazakh. Though I don't know if you realized this, but your son shares his name with the president. Enjoy the holiday and bring back great memories of it!

Jennifer said...

Congratulations on finishing the bonding period! Next stop- COURT!!

The buildings are very pretty and ornate. Thank you for sharing.

Matthew Ruley said...

Wow how did the time pass so quickly?!! Thinking of you - like to comment more but gotta run! Too much to do. How did you do it? But we're packed already.

Susan said...

yay yay yay on day 15 already!!!! i know Catalina and Calin have their court date on the 28th.
It it common for the judge to waive the waiting period? I hope so...that would be so wonderful.

I think you guys will be fine. If you have that fun stuff near you, you'll be great. I think Garrett is going to do better than you think he will....

Happy Spring and great to hear from you. :) I'm glad your document got there safely and in time. :)

Anonymous said...

Nope, not the court building. The one where you become parents for life isn't nearly so grand :-) Is your apartment by any chance in a complex across the street from Univermag? On the ground floor? Sounds like you are in my part of town for sure.

I took my kids to the skating rink and they were amazing. I was so proud. I also bought one of those little wood and metal sleds -- the handle that flips up for pushing is awesome and if you still have enough snow you could get around on foot with N. that way. My mom forbade me even to think about trying to bring the 'sanka' home (boo hoo) so it went to the dyetsky dom instead.

Congrats on everything! I hope you get speedy court dates -- you're in good hands with Yulia.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and the sign says something like "We have something to be proud of!" -- they usually say the same thing in both Kazakh and Russian (kind of like signs in Canada :-).

Unknown said...

Congrats on reaching this landmark. I am hoping for the waiting period to be waived for you.

Alaina said...

That is so exciting! One more step in the process! I hope your waiting period will be waived.

Rochelle said...

One large thin crust chicken and artichoke coming up along with a bottle or two or... of vino. Kabob DESERVES it. OMG! What they put you through, I cannot believe!

Congrats on your milestone there and thanks for the update and photos.

Any other requests, let me know!!

Love to you, Rochelle

McMary said...

Wow--you have completed so much and still have so much left to go through. I pray it all goes smoothly for you.