Friday, March 28, 2008

What the heck?

Another curve was thrown at us yesterday. The internet cafe where I spend most of my free time is in the same building as our agency coordinators. Which makes it soooo convenient to stop by and get an update. And that's exactly what I did yesterday. First, we discussed th guardianship letter hang-up but then something new came up. (Surprise, surprise.) Now we're waiting on the MOE in Astana to send the paperwork that'll "officially" take Nurlan off the registry, so he can be adopted. No problem, except now it's taking 2-3 times longer for that to happen. Supposedly "new" rules went into effect after the Kazakh New Year last weekend. (Who knew?) So our friends here who were granted a speedy court date were fortunate enough to get in before the new rules were implemented. When we'll be granted a court date is now anyone's guess. (Okay Karen take a deep breath.) Not sure if it affects other regions, but I'm assuming it's country-wide. For those of you who are about to travel, you may want to check with your agency. I'm guessing it'll add another week to our visit here.

At least it feels like spring has finally come. We saw our first blades of grass and the government workers are out in full force, picking up trash and sweeping the streets. The buds on the trees are about to burst. It'll be good to see the mud gone and the city blossom.

My apologies again, no photos. The one computer at the cafe with CD capabilities is now working, but with no internet access. It's a shame because we've got great photos to share. One being the Oral River near the WWII Memorial. The Oral acts as a divide between Europe and Asia. I assumed Uralsk was on the Asia side, but it's not. Years ago, Uralsk was a Russian village, so technically we're in Eastern Europe not Asia (like everyone else in Kazakhstan). For the record, Bob dipped his toe in the frozen river. Today Uralsk feels more like a Kazakh city. Most people look Asian and it's not hard to understand why everyone wants to go back to the Kazakh language as the official language. We're learning our fair share of Kazakh for Garrett Nurlan's sake. "Timmy" means don't touch. "Ja" is yes, "jacque" is no. "Cuckoo" is hide and seek. "Sol boll" is goodbye and "dope" is ball. "Eet" is dog, "musik" is cat. "Ich" is say and "rock mit" is thank you. One sound Nurlan loves repeating is the letter "w"--ironic because everyone knows I'm not a big fan of our president. Oh well.

15 comments:

Susan said...

Hey there-I'm sorry to hear about the "snafu" that just came up. This process is truly insane, but you just gotta think-adding a week is really small potatoes in the big scheme of things. Of course, while you are there, it's annoying. This is where that phrase "go with the flow" comes in handy, right?
However, i'm glad you are seeing that spring is springing-and look at your Kazakh vocab-impressive!!!

You are going to be able to immerse yourself in Garrett's culture a lil bit longer-which is not a bad thing.

Keep us informed my sweet. :)

xoxooxoxo
One must be patient and flexible in international adoption--I am sure you could write the book on that!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh boy - good thing you're flexible and can find that sense of joy wherever you are! Down the road, your son will only benefit from all the time you're spending in his first home.

The great thing about Uralsk and the Eurasia divide is that Uralsk is on the Russian side, while the airport is on the Asia side. Cool, huh?

Patrick & Eileen said...

I guess I'm a typical American and have been frustrated by what I hear my in-laws go through in France. Whenever we go visit it really makes us appreciate what we have here - we take alot for granted.

When we will be in Kaz we will be there dealing with *the system* and not as tourists. Weaving our way through red-tape. I know that part can't be easy or 100% understandable on our part.

I have heard (as both Susan & our coordinator said) *be patient* *go with the flow* and *be flexible.* Even I have been telling our friends and family we must learn this. I don't know how I'll be in a Kaz adoptive setting? We're not there yet.

I'm glad that spring is finally showing herself for you. The mud can be a drag!

Enjoy what time you have left - just more memories to share with Garrett when he is older. What stories you can tell!

Eileen

Matthew Ruley said...

Oh my - I thought the children had to be off the regisry in order to start bonding? I am sorry this is holding you up. And the new rules after the new year. Hm. Gotta find ot more about that.

Anonymous said...

Just got an e-mail from Marina. I'm so glad y'all got together -- she had only good words to say about you :-) Did she tell you about her work with the special needs orphanage in Kushum?

Hang in there -- at least it's spring.

qmiller said...

So sorry to hear about the additional delay...at least it is happening while you are there and able to see your son each day. Your attitude is commendable! Here's to warmer spring days to come!
Quaintance

Angela said...

Oh, Karen. Geez. I am so sorry about the latest hang-up. It would be nice to get court over with and be on to the waiting period. This is craziness, I tell you.

Thanks for the mini-course on the Kazakh language & history. And, I am glad you can see signs of spring. Spring naturally fills me with hope.

I am hoping that you get all those pieces of paper SOON!

Kelly and Sne said...

Sorry to hear about the possible delay. I feel your frustration as it seems as time goes on the lengthier and more difficult the in-country process is (perhaps they will have a meeting sometime and decide to expedite the process - right!). In Semey before Christmas they were routinely waiving the appeals period now we're looking at a 9-week trip for sure (and our agency doesn't let us opt out of the translator/driver services and fees). As Susan said, look at it as a time to get to know your son's culture. And perhaps you can petition for immediate custody? I thought that I read another blog of a family in Uralsk who had their appeals period waived....

Rochelle said...

OMG.

Karen,

All I can say is I like what others had to offer here -- that it may be a good thing in the long run, to be immersing yourself in Garrett's culture a little longer. But my heart goes out to you too because I think you are home sick : ( I do hope the spring weather helps. I know it would help me here. It's still chilly here, chillier than usual this time of year but I am beginning to see more and more people on their bikes (wish I had the courage to get out on mine this early in the year). So I'll say happy spring and I'm hoping you have yourself a very good book to read while you're there. Hi to Bob too.

Rochelle

Regina said...

Man, this is crazy. I know everyone warns us to be flexible and all that jazz, but we are all putting our lives and jobs on hold for what is already too long to begin with, and then they just keep adding on days. Seems like they won't be happy until we are all completely financially spent and fired from any job we may have had before we left the US.

Of course, do try to look a the bright side. As everyone said here there are several advantages to being there a little longer. Just dwell on those things and try to enjoy the spring!

Oh, and thanks for the Kazakh lesson.

Jennifer said...

Hey, I'm so sorry to hear of the delay! I truly hope the process picks up a little for you.

Another bright side- it's still cold here! The snow is melting little by little, but with temps only reaching 40 on the good days, it's rather slow going. The ice on Lake Minnetonka was completely gone last year on April 7. Totally GONE!! Not gonna happen this year. It's not even melty around the edges yet. :-( Enjoy your beautiful weather there!

CL Lambert said...

Hi Karen and Bob. So sorry to hear about the additional hurdles you continue to have thrown in front of you. Truly shows this process is a marathon and not a sprint. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. It is grey and icky here (well today it is sunny) but by grey I mean the trees and the brown grass. Hang in there!

Carol

Anonymous said...

Good grief, could they throw any more hurdles in the way?

I agree with Regina - pretty soon this process will be too prohibitive to even attempt.

Good luck with it!
Shannon

McMary said...

Wow--Flexibility is an understatment but sounds like you are handling it well.
Hang in there.
Thanks for the Kazakh words.

marsrob said...

THe new slowness is so frustrating! What a drag - more and more time to wait! Oh my goodness!!!