Friday, March 7, 2008

Day 4

Today we made our final decision to adopt Nurlan. His official name will be Garrett Nurlan Williams. Even though they pressured us to make a decision right away, we remained steadfast, telling them we needed to hear back from our IA doctor at the UofMN. Well that was easier said then done. Wednesday afternoon we downloaded all necessary pictures and information, hoping to get a 24-hour response. We did, thankfully, but the pictures were inadequate, plus they wanted more information (like motor and language milestones). All of that delayed our decision for a day.

So back at the orphanage we have poor Nurlan hop on one foot, draw squares and take more pictures with dots on his forehead. Then we rushed to the internet cafe to download the photos. Somehow during the tranfer, all our photos were erased (including those from Almaty and Amsterdam). Frantic, we had to reshoot photos (by now it's 6:00pm) and then find an internet cafe that was open past 7pm. The director of the orphanage was NOT happy with our request to take more pictures of Nurlan. Technically until we commit to him, we're not allowed to take photos. Period. (Supposedly someone before us took photos and posted them on the internet.) Needless to say we apologized, quickly took our 4 shots and raced back to a different internet cafe. At that point, the internet was down in Uralsk was down--everywhere!!! We found another cafe who claimed to have access and were able to download the photos, but NO internet. Returned to the first place, they had access to the internet, but we had problems downloading the photos. There was a virus/worm and it corrupted our files. My last ditch effort: send a yahoo email with photo attachments and pray they'd get it. (All of this took 2-1/2 hours and $50 extra for the driver and translator's time.) Luckily, the email made it safe and sound. This morning we got glowing reports from Dr. Dana Johnson. Nurlan is healthy.

Hallelujah. (We're exhausted.)

More later.

15 comments:

Susan said...

oh my goodness! Someday, maybe even soon, you will look back at this and laugh. But now, I don't think i'd be laughing yet. Oh my goodness x 3! However, I am SO glad everything turned out wonderfully in the end, and Garrett Nurlan is your son!! I am very happy for you!! The more happy stories I read, the less anxiety I have. You just gotta have faith that the "big man" is putting the right kiddo's with the right families.

LOVE YOU GUYS! and Congrats!!!

Kristen (and Cary) said...

YEAH. What a story to get the pics. But such happy news in the end. Congrats.

Our Family of Bloggers said...

Congratulations on your wonderful news! Can't wait to see and hear more about your little guy! Enjoy this quiet time together. Can't wait to see pics of Garrett Nurlan, and of course, the first family picture!

Kim said...

Congratulations on your fabulous news! I am excited to read more and see pictures of Garrett Nurlan. What a crazy story, hopefully that is the last of them for awhile.

Stacy said...

What a funny story. Welcome to the world of Kaz. The unpredicatble is what will make the journey so memorable!! Someday you can look bak and laugh at all of this. Where are our pictures or Garrett??
Enjoy your time together and congrats on your decision!!

Unknown said...

I think your trip is the craziest I have ever heard of!!! You two are having one adventure after another. Hopefully things will calm down from this point on.

I am glad to hear you got a good report on Nurlan. Now you can really start to bond and feel like he is your son.

take care

Matthew Ruley said...

Congratulations, MOM and DAD! We are so happy for you! I can't wait to see the first FAMILY PHOTO! Is he as spunky as I imagined?

What a horror to get that done. All that stress of the deadline and getting GN to jump up and down. We have so much to look forward to. I'm trying to figure out how to make that a fun game. I think you could make anything fun!

Angela said...

WOW! I am glad that Nurlan is healthy and you are on your way! You all have had the craziest trip. I hope things settle down!

Holly and Dean said...

Congratulations on your official acceptance of Nurlan!!! I can't wait to hear more about your new little boy and your experiences in Uralsk. I know that you are posting from an internet cafe, but I still find myself checking your blog throughout the day.

Best Wishes-
Holly

Regina said...

Holy moly what a wild goose chase! So glad it was all worth it and Nurlan is ok. Cannot wait to see him!

Alaina said...

Congrats on making it through all that! How exciting! Garrett is a great name and I love that you kept his Kaz name as a middle name - we did the same!

Unknown said...

Heck, I'm exhausted-- I can only imagine what you are feeling! Congratulations on finally finding your little boy!! And good for you, sticking to your guns until you got what you needed for the IA doc, even if it meant running around like crazy..

Lauralee said...

Congratulations!!!! We can not wait to meet Garrett.

Love you!

Laura, Jeff, Natalie and Carlie

Paula said...

Yea, you've got your little boy. I can't wait to see pics of him What a tiring day for you!

McMary said...

Hi Karen and Bob,
Congrats on finding your son!!
I am just catching up on reading your blog and loving every minute of it although it sounds like you have had very stressful times since leaving Minnesota. Garrett Nurlan is a great name and he sounds wonderful--I am just so excited for you.
It is very sunny here in Minnesota but very cold. I am wishing for it to warm up--not so much for mud but I guess that is part of it.
Spring is a beautiful time of year so I hope you get to enjoy some of that weather while in Kaz.
I hope the rest of your stay goes smoothly and that you can just concentrate on Garrett!!
Take care and God Bless.