Monday, March 10, 2008

Spring? Winter?


Here's a photo of Nurlan's orphanage all blanketed in snow. 24 hours ago it was 61 degrees out and sunny. Today, we awoke to four inches of snow. What a city of contrasts. (Actually, the snow makes Uralsk look quite pretty.)

As I wrote earlier, Sundays are "free" days--no visits to the orphanage allows us the opportunity to explore the city. So yesterday, with Bob as my navigator, we walked into town (about 40 minutes by foot) to meet Gretchen and Greg, another couple adopting in Uralsk. They're staying on the other side of town at the Pushkin Hotel so we agreed to meet at the Atrium (the mall). Well we walked too far and got lost. Luckily, we met a very kind elderly Kazakh woman who went out of her way (despite the language barrier) to help us. Just a tip, if you can speak German it goes a long way here. We arrived late, but fortunately they waited for us. Gretchen and Greg have had a lot difficulties since arriving here. Bad translator, baby in hospital, lack of communication with their in-country coordinator (who lives three hours away in Almaty), etc. It makes us feel fortunate for what we have. Although our translator speaks English only so-so and doesn't offer any suggestions for what we can do in our downtime, at least she seems generally interested in us. Our in-country coordinator Yulia is efficient and gets things done. And we have a very nice apartment. But the best part is we have a healthy little boy who definitely seems to have an affectionate side to him.

So all we can do is count our blessings.

10 comments:

Susan said...

Hey there. wow, Yulia is the name of Calin and Catalina's new daughter-that is cool.

wow-snow. That is crazy-but cool-and you are used to that. I'm glad the city is so pretty and you are getting your way around, and got some excercise.

I am sorry to hear about your friends experience, and i hope it gets better. Baby in the hospital-oh that would be awful!

I am glad you are doing great, it's easing my anxiety, but i'm still having weird dreams. :)

Lots of love!!

Kelly and Sne said...

Well, being from Minnesota, you should be used to that kind of change in weather, right? If it makes you feel better, it turned Winter here in the Midwest again late last week and over the weekend. Glad things are going smoothly for you so far.

Regina said...

The weather teeter-totter must be crazy, but it sounds like it's going to warm up and get really nice before too long. We've also had a cold snap here in South Carolina, even though my azaleas are blooming!

It's so sad to hear about your friends' bad experience, but it certainly does put things in perspective. Please send them my best and keep counting those blessings!

marsrob said...

Glad things are going well for you guys. Glad you found your way back. Sending you prayers and love!

Rochelle said...

Hi Karen and Bob,

Hope you are doing well today (and I hope your warm weather is back too). Sounds like things are progressing and I'm so happy for you that you have a healthy boy to bring home! I love the name you picked for him (Garrett) it's very masculine. I can't wait to meet him.

You have great stories and I can't wait to see photos.

Think you every day. I am so happy for you and proud of you both.

Love, Rochelle

Gretchen said...

It's amazing how different each family's experiences are in Kaz. Glad things are going well for you. Maybe the other family has gotten over the "bad" hump and will have good times from here on out. :)

Matthew Ruley said...

Just checking in! Wow that is a huge weather difference. Its been pretty eratic here (FL)- tornados, etc but NO snow!

Hope all is well with Garrett! Cant wait to hear more!

Diana said...

Glad to hear things are going a little better for you.

Take some deep breaths and try to relax. I know easier said than done.

Can hardly wait to hear more about your little boy as you get to know him!

traceylynndel said...

I hear they have ice skating outside the orthodox church in the winter. You can check into that. There is an ice skating rink. You can go to the Kazakh history museum across the street from the Kazakh drama theater. There are several smaller museums on that street as well. You can go to the American corner in the libarary on Thursday afternoons. Sorry it is all by the Puskin but that is where we stayed so we know that area better. If you can walk to the atrium it isn't much farther. Also if your friend needs help we might have friends who can help.

Tracey

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear things are going well! I just "skipped" customs because I had heard so many scary stories, glad to hear it went well for you. I can't wait to see baby Garrett Nurlan - I'll bet he's a cutie.

Things are great in Taraz - it's 72degrees today! My kind of weather.
Shannon