
We've been in Uralsk for 18 days now. We're definitely in a routine here. Our apartment is across the street from the new mosque. Every morning at 5:15 am, the mullah calls for morning pray. The calls are hauntingly beautiful, but it's also a keen reminder that we're not in Kansas anymore. By 8 am, I stumble out of bed. I never get a good night's sleep as I use my bunched up coat as a makeshift pillow. (Remember, in Amsterdam we were forced to give up our pillows and they traveled back home along with the rolls and rolls of toilet paper.)
Although I'm barely conscious, I have to remember not to flush the TP down the toilet. Apparently, the sewer systems here aren't equipped to handle it. (Okay, I'll admit it, I did it once and felt awful.) After my warm shower (another luxury), I head to the kitchen to cut up snacks for Garrett Nurlan. We use cheap vodka (not tap water) to clean apples and other skinned fruits and vegetables. By 9:20 am, we're in the elevator, coughing from the lingering smell of urine in the hallways. (Nothing like a little piss to wake you up in the morning.) Our trusty driver Yerlan is waiting to whisk us off to the orphanage for our first of two visits. For the record, we're fortunate--most families only get one visit per day. We get two: one from 10-11am and another from 4-5pm.

Here's a picture of Luba (our translator), Yerlan and I during a heavy snow storm outside the orphanage. After our first visit, we've got free time until 3:40 pm. Somedays we go sightseeing (so far, we've been to the WWII Memorial, Oral River, Golden Church, New Mosque, History Musuem, Old Church), but most times we head to the internet cafe to catch up on life at home.

Here I am at the Kazakh Telecom, one of the internet cafes we frequent. At 3:40 pm, we head for our final visit to see this little cutie.

By 5pm, we're on our way home to a delicious meal of potatoes, onions and carrots. (Mmm, mmm--one cannot ever get enough root vegetables.) In the evening, we can choose CNN International, BBC or Russia Today--or play a mean game of Gin Rommey. Guess you can say, we're living life large.
14 comments:
hey there, good to hear from you! I get sad when you miss a day. :)
Love the pictures of town, and to hear your routine. That would be hard to not flush the Tp down the toilet. So, um, what do you do with it? That's kinda um, possibly, stinky? YIKES. :)
Garrett is just adorable. He has a real sparkle in his eye. :)
I love the pictures. Garrett has a great smile and beautiful eyes.
Garrett has the most beautiful smile, I am glad your are enjoyinh Uralsk!
Wow I can't believe we're in the same country! People are practically already in shorts and flip flops here and look at you in that snowstorm!
Glad everything is going well, it does quickly become a routine. When is court?
Shannon
I can't believe you have been in Kazakhstan 18 days!!! Garrett is such a cutie! He looks so adorable in all the pics that you have posted. The picture of the mosque brings back memories as we got a flat tire right in front of it and waited on the side of the road as our driver changed the tire. Any news on pre-court and court?
We wish you all the best-
Holly and Dean
Cute as he is now, you will not believe how different he'll look with HAIR! My son went from goofy to gorgeous once the buzz cut grew out. Bet Nurlan will too -- he has all the right stuff.
Savor the days -- N. will want to hear all about them later on.
18 days? wow? It means we have almost 18 too!!! Our bondign period is over, i cant believe how fast was everything! We do not get too do so many things as you do! We have 2 hours visit in the morning at the baby house, then we have to drive at least one hour (or more when its snowing and the road is bad) to the orphanage, we spend 2 hours there and we get home by 7 pm. Grocery shopping and this is what we call it a day!
I love Garrett`s smile!
Man, you get all those channels in English?? We only got BBC, and a month of that makes you just a little bit crazy!
I love the picture of Garrett-- his personality is totally coming out..
Jeannine
This is the life in Kaz! Sounds just like what our life was like. Oh - what a drag about the pillows! Your child-to-be is ADORABLE!
Love to read about a day in Kazakhstan--something I am really looking forward to. It is go good to hear about it from others before going.
Have you been able to get together with any other adoptive parents?
Garrett is such a cutie!!
Well, sounds like an interesting day... not! And you should be used to root vegetables being from the midwest and all! Good thing you are getting around and seeing the sights so you'll have nice things to say about Garrett's home town. He's certainly a handsome boy.
When were you in Kansas? : )
Don't they sell pillows there?
It is fun to hear about life there.
I'll have a pizza waiting for you at the airport.
Rochelle
I love hearing about your adventures. Garrett seems so happy.
Where does the time go?
We packed today, and we were trying to be very careful not to pack $2000 in extra fees! I will miss my pillow. And my underwear - no wait, I am bringing that! Seriously we've packed and replaced so many times but the final one is really hard!
Post a Comment