

Believe it or not, we're already on bonding day #11--and tomorrow we'll have been in Uralsk for two weeks. Time sure is flying. Typically after completing 14 days of bonding (which will be this coming Tuesday), we'd have our first court date. But before we can do that, we need the newly requested notarized/apostilled Guardianship letter to arrive from our agency in Portland. It takes 3-4 days via Fed Ex to arrive in Uralsk and at this point we're not sure where it is. Hopefully we'll know the answer soon. Although Uralsk is a nice place to visit, we'd like to make our trip as short as possible.
In the meantime, here are some pictures of Nurlan (Garrett) in his performance outfit--doesn't he look handsome? It seems the orphanage schedules performances on a weekly basis. The next one will be held this Monday in honor of Nauruz (New Year).
In Kazakhstan family and friends get together and celebrate what they call “Nauruz,” the word comes from the Persian words “ Nau-New, Ruz-Year.”
The tradition is to gather around a table and exchange gifts among relatives, celebrating the end of a harsh winter and welcoming the upcoming spring. The Kazakh New Year is very similar to the Persian New Year with an emphasis on the number seven.
The main ritual dish, “Nauryz-kozheh,” includes seven ingredients, signifying the seven life beginnings--water, meat, salt, fat, flour, cereal and milk--symbolizing joy, luck, wisdom, health, wealth, speedy growth and heavenly protection. Before the coming of the spring, the people have to ask for forgiveness of their sins, liquidate their debts, revive themselves spiritually and physically reconcile with relatives and friends.
Everybody has to visit seven houses and invite seven guests. “Koktem tudy” (spring is born) Kazakhs say that day and meet Nauruz in the streets, squares, parks and stadiums. The streets are full of activities, including horse racing and other national sports, such as kazakhsha-kyres, where men are supposed to wrestle while riding a horse, and Kokpar, a team contest of rider groups try to seize and take possession of a slaughtered goat’s body. (Bob can't wait but I plan on skipping that one.)
The New Year is a three-day holiday, starting next Friday. That means we'll only have one visit with Nurlan on Friday and won't see him again until Monday.
This country sure gets into their holidays. There seems to be one every other week.
11 comments:
Great to see a picture of Bob with Garrett Nurlan. They are both handsome boys!! I was wondering why he was all dressed up-he is really a handsome lil man. I love his eyes!
thanks for the desciption of the spring celebration-very intersting. I can't believe it's day 11 already.
I hope your new document can get there speedy. Thinking of you!!!
:)
Garrett IS a very handsome boy. And he looks to be very happy as well and comfortable with you two. Thanks for the information about Nauryz. I may copy it (and possibly post it too) if you don't mind. We are actually disappointed that we won't be there for the holiday as it is one we were hoping to celebrate in the future as a new multi-cultural family. I love the traditions and the timing of it. I can just imagine ancient Kazakhs getting their flocks ready to head to higher ground for the Spring and Summer.
Hi Karen!
Our Guardianship paper was missing from our documents as well. It was only discovered missing the day before court. Fortunately, our coordinator in Astana had it and she was able to scan and email it (the judge accepted a copy) and then mail the original. With all the paperwork involved, it doesn't surprise me that something somewhere ends up missing.
Can't believe you are on vistation day 11 now!!
Thanks for the Nauruz info.
We might participate in it here since we're due for a welcome home party for James. Might be a nice element to add to the celebration! I'm not sure about the wrestling dead goat celebration part either.I'll skip that one gladly. HEy, when you're home rent "The Long Way Round" with Ewan McGregor and you'll see this and the wrestling on horse take place!
Welby
Karen & Bob....a couple of great photos of you with your handsome guy! He does look very comfortable with you. It just seems like yesterday the you two arrived. Hard to believe that 2 weeks is coming up. Time flies!
Like Susan & Kelly thank you for your fantastic description of Nauruz. If you don't mind I would love to pull some of the info from you as well!! I couldn't have explained it better :)
Keeping my fingers crossed on the document you're waiting for.
Eileen
I'm loving the pictures! You guys all look so happy.
I can't believe you've been there for two weeks already!
I hope the document gets to you quickly.
Love the pics. All of you look really happy and Garrett is a really handsome boy.
I hope you get your Fed Ex package soon.
Hi Karen,
It has been fun following your journey from here in MN. Spring is finally showing itself (a little!) here, too. Nice sunny days and the snow is melting rapidly away... YEAH!! The weather should be gorgeous when you return as a family!!
Nurlan (Garrett) is such a handsome little guy. I was just commenting to my husband that I think he looks like you, too. I see physical features that have a resemblence to your own. Nonetheless, he is quite the cutie! Congratulations and Happy Kazak New Year!
~Tanya~
Great photos of a very lovely family!
Thank you for your description of the holiday -- I hope you don't mind if I borrow some of it for my blog. We wanted to be there in time to see the grand celebration, but that's not going to happen. But hopefully we can see it through your eyes.
Be well,
Regina
You ARE a handsome family - no doubt about it, I love the twinkle in Garett's eye. He looks like such a happy healthy little boy. Hope you're ready for all things little-boy like from frogs to baseball to girls! There will be lots of girls around!
Cant believe its 2 weeks. So glad you are happy! Bob looks happy too!
He is just too adorable for words - each picture brings tears to my eyes for you. And the story of getting his passport picture taken - oh my. Glad the days are flying by, hope the document arrives soon and safely and you can get more steps crossed off your list!
Love the new photos. Everyone looks so happy and Nurlan looks so smart in his holiday clothes.
Post a Comment