Finally got a bit of sleep last night. (I really miss my pillow--we had to send it back to Minneapolis inside our luggage.) Actually this is a funny story: after we were told in Amsterdam that it would cost an additional $2000 dollars to send suitcases filled with toilet paper, Goldfish crackers and pillows to Uralsk, Bob opted to call his buddy who flies charters to Kuwait and has layovers in Amsterdam every other week. Turns out "Vern" would be in town the next day and was happy to oblige us, but we had to get our suitcases to his hotel room. His hotel was downtown so there was no direct shuttle. The only way to get there was the city bus. The round trip from the airport to the hotel and back was approximately 2 hours (coincidentally the same time we had to take off for Almaty). So Bob paid the bus driver $30 to drop it off at the hotel for us. As we departed Schiphol Airport, I couldn't help but chuckle as I imagined our luggage traveling the streets of Amsterdam. (I bet it was enjoying all the stops through the red district.)
Back to Nurlan. The way it works in the orphanage is that the Kazakh kids are separated from the Russian children. Kazakh children outnumber the Russians by 2 to 1. Yesterday the Russian children performed for us with skits, folk songs and dance. Today it was the Kazakh children's turn. Nurlan was nervous as he messed up a few of his lines. But the girls' costumes and dances were quite enchanting. We had a short visit with Nurlan due to the performance. So we hope to have more time this afternoon. We're allowed only one hour per visit and it goes fast.
Also, apologies for our lack of photos. We're having the darndest time downloading images onto the computer. It's hard to do because everything's in Russian, so we're never sure where the photos go once they're physically transfered onto the computer. (We did figure out the command on the PC to change the cyrillic alphabet back to ours--just hit "shift" and "alt.") We think we're saving it to the desktop, only to find out that's not the case. Plus, there are tons and tons of files on the desktop, making it difficult to see anything. Downloading to CDs doesn't seem to work either (same problem, can't find the CD). Once we figure things out, we promise to post pretty pictures. For now, you'll have to settle for my words.
13 comments:
Looking forward to the photos (of course!) but your words are nice too. :) I'm curious why the Kazakh and Russian kids are separated. Is it for the purpose of teaching different languages, perhaps?
Still laughing at the thought of your luggage touring Amsterdam.
Sara
Very funny about that luggage - Your right that trip is probably way more exciting then your traveling adventures.
Keep us posted!
Darlene
I look forward to hearing more about Nurlan. I know this must be the best time of your life and the most nerve racking. You sound like you are handling it very well. I bet watching the performances was very cute and I feel for Nurlan because you know he must of been so nervous. The good news is that they forget very quickly that they messed up and then are quite proud of themselves. This weekend we had a performance for school and both Brian and Scott (age 6 and 5) messed up (alot) but they had no problem celebrating the show.
I can't wait to hear more about Nurlan and Kaz.
Hey girl, i have been thinking a lot about you guys, and SAndi leaving today. I had a really really weird dream that i could buy Chinese Mac and Cheese (kraft) and somehow get a chinese baby. IT was so bizarre. I am a weirdo.
I am sorry it's so frustrating with everything in Russian. I know that will probably happen to me too.
I'm sorry about your pillow-but i'm glad it's in route to you. How funny that got to see the sites in amsterdam.
Nurlan sounds adorable even without pictures.
I sleep with a big body pillow. Not sure how i can fit that.
all these packign stories from Sandi and Shannon and you have me really nervous. Maybe I will start packing and just play around with it.
Love to you!!
stalking your blog like a madwoman.
Hi Karen,
What an adventure you are on!! We're looking forward to seeing photos too.
We've read another blog awhile ago where the couple had Cyrillic on the computer - can't recall what they did to work for them? Hopefully you'll work the bugs out soon.
How many pieces of luggage were you trying to take with you? Stateside apparently wasn't a problem just in Europe. How many suitcases does that leave you with in Kaz now? I'm curious because when our time comes we'll need to know!! It was our understanding that we can check in 2 suitcases each and 1 carry-on each.
We'll be *stalking* your blog as Susan says :)
Take care,
Eileen & Pat
Also looking to photos, but understand why you cant. I'm envisioning your luggage, well-traveled around Amsterdam. I'm also envisionionin the buss driver opening it and finding goldfish! You know what we feel about horsemeat, what could they think about goldfish crackers!
So cute you got to see Nurlan perform! I hope that everything is going well with your time together. And that you were able to open the Kazah file I sent.
Curious, are you going to keep his name?
Two thousand buckaroos???? WOW!
What would you have done without your friend? I guess kiss that set of stuff goodbye. I'm glad that instead it got a wonderful tour of the red light district!
Can't WAIT to see photos.
Wow - I didn't know that they separated the Russian and Kazakh kids. The performances must have been adorable...and the luggage story is hilarious! Cannot wait for photos, but we completely understand!
I cant wait to see the Nurlan`s photos too!! I am sure the little show was so fun! Very weird about Russian - Kazakh separation, though!!!
what a bummer about your pillow. That's so strange & sad that the Kids are separated. pictures will be great but it's still wonderful to read about your day. :)
It's so wonderful to follow you on your journey. Sounds like your luggage is on an adventure of its own! Crazy!...and I feel for you about the pillow, I don't know how I could get a descent nights sleep w/out mine! Looks like you are having warmer weather over there, then here in MN. We have beautiful blue skies and bright sunshine today, but it's VERY decieving to say the least! Can't wait to see green again! Anyhow, we are certainly looking forward to seeing photos, but your words are great and paint a good picture of their own. I'm also curious, are you going to keep Nurlan's given name? And that was interesting about how they seperate the Kaz and Russian kids, I'm thinking it's a language thing??
Take care and keep us posted! :)
~Tanya~
The words are great, keep em coming. Can't wait to hear more about your visits with Nurlan (sp?)
love, Paula
How unusual that they keep the Russians and Kazakhs separated. I have never heard of this before. Seems like it would make it even harder for them to function out in the real world.
Glad you got to see the kids perfom, that sound like fun.
Post a Comment